    A search on the Asus web site turns up nothing.. Surely someone must
    know. Not a big deal but the little details count too

    Thanks for any advice

    Ralph2, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Ralph2

    Paul Guest

    My suspicion is, you'll find all links to utilities dead.
    But since you are motivated, give it a go anyway. If you
    do find something, post the details, as this question
    (DMI) comes up occasionally.

    http://www.techweb.com/winmag/fixes/bioslies.htm
    http://www.techweb.com/winmag/fixes/biosutil.htm

    The following link isn't going to help you. This is
    just a reference to the organization that made a standard
    for holding info about the computer. Originally I think it
    was called DMI, and in the standard I was looking at, it
    is mentioned they changed the name to SMBIOS. DMI could
    stand for something like Desktop Management Interface.
    This site is likely a giant waste of time.

    http://www.dmtf.org/standards/smbios

    I have my doubts you'll find a utility to do what you want.
    Asus had two utilities - dmi.exe and dmicfg2.exe, but they
    aren't on the FTP server any more. They should have been in
    misc/utils but they are not there.

    You will notice on the spec page for a motherboard, that
    "DMI 2.0" and "SMBIOS 2.3" are features of a board, but it
    doesn't look like Asus gives out utilities to access/control
    that stuff any more. Maybe if you phone tech support, you'll
    run into an honest tech support person who can explain
    what Asus policy is on supporting DMI. (Maybe there are some
    commercial applications that OEM/system builders use.
    Perhaps more Googling will dig up some suggestions as to
    what pros use for utilities.)

    On my old P2B-S motherboard CD, there is Intel Landesk
    Client Manager, and it has an interface to read the
    information in the BIOS. There is a copy of dmicfg2.exe
    on the CD as well, but that version would likely be too
    old to interface to a modern BIOS. You can see, even back
    in the day it was current, there were problems with it:

    http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=Q8pK3.1533$-ops.be

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 21, 2005

  3. Ralph2

    Ralph2 Guest

    Thank you Paul for an excellent and concise answer. I have an email
    out to Asus Tech support but I doubt I will get a reply.
    It surprises me that Asus, which obviously paid some one to make this
    utility (and keeps updating it) does not have instructions on its use.

    The search goes on...............
    Thanks again

    Ralph2, Feb 21, 2005
  4. Ralph2

    Nero Guest

    Not meant to be instruction on how to add the oem stuff

    Nero, Feb 21, 2005
  5. Ralph2

    Nero Guest

    WHY ask again if you were told what to regarding the OEM.INI file in another
    post??

    Are ya deef, dumb, thick, stupid or fekkin what???

    Nero, Feb 21, 2005
  6. Ralph2

    Nero Guest

    It's there in mine.......and I built this one and never added any
    info.................

    Nero, Feb 21, 2005
  7. Ralph2

    Roger Hunt Guest

    I was looking for this some time ago, for my a7n8x-x, and found
    dmicfg.exe within dmi230u.exe at :
    http://www.chaintech.de/DRIVER/utility.htm

    Still there, as "DMI Configuration Utility 2.30u"
    It works fine with this a7n8x-x from a W98 DOS box, even though it's
    supposed to be used from a proper Command prompt.

    Have fun!

    Roger Hunt, Feb 21, 2005
  8. Ralph2

    Ralph2 Guest

    BECAUSE the stuff in the OEMINFO.INI post fill in the blanks in the
    dialog box that you get when you press the window key and the pause
    key. Or, Start > Settings > Control Panel > System. The ASUS PC PROBE
    seems to get its information from some place else.
    And THAT is what I hope to find.. But thanks for responding

    Ralph2, Feb 21, 2005
  9. Ralph2

    Paul Guest

    And, now that there is a utility to play with, here are the instructions
    that accompany the Asus version of this Award tool. This document is
    from late 1996, so likely doesn't describe all the features in the
    Chaintech version.

    *******
    Desktop Management Interface (DMI) Utility Rev 1.2

    Introducing the DMI Configuration Utility

    This motherboard supports DMI within the BIOS level and provides a
    DMI Configuration Utility to maintain the Management Information
    Format Database (MIFD). DMI is able to auto-detect and record
    information pertinent to a computer's system such as the CPU
    type, CPU speed, and internal/external frequencies, and memory
    size. The onboard BIOS will detect as many system information as
    possible and store those collected information in a 4KB block in
    the motherboard's Flash EPROM and allow the DMI to retrieve data from
    this database. Unlike other BIOS vendors, the BIOS on this motherboard
    uses the same technology implemented for Plug and Play to allow
    dynamic real-time updating of DMI information versus creating a new
    BIOS image file and requiring the user to update the whole BIOS.
    This DMI Configuration Utility also allows the system integrator
    or end user to add additional information into the MIFD such as
    serial numbers, housing configurations, and vendor information.
    Those information not detected by the motherboard BIOS and has to
    manually entered through the DMI Configuration Utility and updated
    into the MIFD. This DMI Configuration Utility provides the same
    reliability as PnP updating and will prevent the refreshing failures
    associated with updating the entire BIOS.

    System Requirements

    The motherboard BIOS must support DMI. The following motherboards
    do not support DMI:
    · P/I-P6RP4 (not supported)
    · PCI/E-P54NP4 (not supported)
    · PCI/I-P54NP4D (not supported)

    Running Environment

    The DMI Configuration Utility (DMICFG.EXE) must be ran in real mode
    in order for the program to run, the base memory must be at least
    180K. Memory managers like HIMEM.SYS (required by windows) must not
    be installed. You can boot up from a system diskette without
    AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files, "REM" HIMEM.SYS in the CONFIG.SYS,
    or press <F5> during boot-up to bypass your AUTOEXEC.BAT and
    CONFIG.SYS files.

    Version description

    DMICFG.EXE contains two versions
    - V1.2 Manufacturing use (all components)
    - V1.3 End Users (minus the ADD_DMI function)

    Using the DMI Configuration Utility

    Edit DMI (or delete)

    Use the (left-right) cursors to move the top menu items and the
    (up-down) cursor to move between the left hand menu items. The bottom
    of the screen will show the available keys for each screen. Press enter
    at the menu item to enter the right hand screen for editing.
    ³Edit component² appears on top. The reversed color field is the
    current cursor position and the blue text are available for editing.
    The orange text shows auto-detected information and are not available
    for editing. The blue text "Press [ENTER] for detail" contains a second
    pop-up menu is available, use the + - (plus-minus) keys to change the
    settings. Enter to exit and save, ESC to exit and not save.

    If the user has made changes, ESC will prompt you to answer Y or N.
    Enter Y to go back to the left-hand screen and save, enter N to go
    back to left-hand screen and not save. If editing has not been made,
    ESC will send you back to the left hand menu without any messages.

    A heading, *** BIOS Auto Detect *** appears on the right for each menu
    item on the left that has not been modified by the user
    A heading, *** User Modified *** will appear on the right for menu items
    that has been modified by the user.

    Save MIFD

    You can save the MIFD (normally only saved to flash ROM) to a file by
    entering the drive and path here. If you want to cancel save, you may
    press ESC and a message ³Bad File Name² appears here to show it was not
    saved.

    Load MIFD

    You can load the disk file to memory by entering a drive and path and
    filename. Here.

    Load BIOS Defaults

    You can load the BIOS defaults from a MIFD file and can clear all user
    modified and added data. You must reboot your computer in order for the
    defaults to be saved back into the Flash BIOS.
    DMIUTIL.DOC 10/8/96
    *******

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 21, 2005
  10. Ralph2

    Ralph2 Guest

    Thanks Paul.. Where did you find the extra info you posted. The
    enclosed http://www.chaintech.de/DRIVER/UTILITY/dmi230u.exe only has a
    small readme with it. In any case I can not seem to save my edits.
    Once in the edit section F10 just exits; ESC makes me loose all my
    edits and returns to the left side tree..
    I have not yet screwed up my system so will persevere...
    Thanks again.

    Ralph2, Feb 22, 2005
  11. Ralph2

    Ralph2 Guest

    ???? you have something going that I do not :))

    Ralph2, Feb 22, 2005
  12. Ralph2

    Ralph2 Guest

    They say a picture is worth a thousand word.. Here are two screen
    shots. Assuming I can attach a picture, never tried it with Agent...
    System Information has fields that are filled in by a file called
    OEMINFO.INI. PC Probe on the other hand has some entries that are
    eluding me.. So far, have a utility (thanks to Paul) that "may" work
    if I can figure it out before I wreck my BIOS..

    Ralph2, Feb 22, 2005
  13. Ralph2

    Ralph2 Guest

    Obviously there must be a trick to posting a picture, I get filtered
    out.. Sorry........

    Ralph2, Feb 22, 2005
  14. Ralph2

    Ed Guest

    Most ISPs don't allow binaries in text groups, so even if you see it
    posted it doesn't mean the rest of us will.

    try a free image site and post the link here.
    http://www.imageshack.us/

    Ed

    Ed, Feb 22, 2005
  15. Ralph2

    Paul Guest

    The instructions came with the dmicfg2 that came on my P2B-S
    motherboard CD. There was a word document and I just copied the
    text portion of the document.

    I tried the Chaintech utility on my P4B motherboard. When I
    went to update the serial number on the machine (change from
    EVAL to something real) I got a flashing red text message
    saying "DMI update not supported". That means the BIOS hook
    for the DMI function is not there. It could be that the P4B
    is more modern than the Chaintech utility, and the definition
    of the DMI BIOS call has changed. I'm not sufficiently gifted
    at analysing software, to be able to say just what exactly is
    wrong with it.

    Keep looking. Try searching with keywords DMI, SMBIOS, and the
    like and maybe you can find some commercial software that knows
    how to handle this function. While, on the one hand, it is
    easy to believe, that only Award/AMI/Phoenix have utilities to
    handle their own BIOS chips, this function is enough of a
    nuisance that maybe someone made a super-duper tool that works
    with many different BIOS manufacturers stuff. (So far in my
    experiments, I've been surprised to find that so-called standard
    BIOS functions are not done the same way on an Award and an AMI
    BIOS. The microcode update function was specified by Intel, for
    example, but software that uses the function on an Award BIOS,
    doesn't work with an AMI BIOS. I guess the BIOS designers
    don't care about standards.)

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 22, 2005