ASUS PC Probe II for my ASUS K8V SE Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ANTant, Jun 17, 2006.

  1. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Hello,

    I read that there a newer ASUS PC Probe program for ASUS motherboards. I am using a refurbished ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
    (1007 firmware; Athlon 64 3200+ 754 CPU) and ASUS PC Probe v2.25.02 that I got from ASUS' FTP server. Does this
    newer PC Probe software work with my old motherboard?

    Or maybe there is a better monitoring program? Not complaining about the old PC Probe one, just wondering what
    else was out there.

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "... Our world is not an ant farm!" --Duncan MacLeod (Highlander Season 3 Finale Part II)
    /\___/\
    ( )

    ANTant, Jun 17, 2006

  2. ANTant

    ... et al. Guest

    Dunno about an K8V, but i did try to install PC Probe II[*1] under WinXP
    on a machine with an older motherboard, an A7V333, and the installer
    informed me that: "PC Probe II does not suppport this model."[*2].
    Ok, that's fine, i thought, i'll just reinstall 'PC Probe I' again.

    But the problem, and my warning, is that the installer left behind an
    installer-helper-service running after it had exited[*3] and the machine
    had rebooted. Not pretty!
    I deleted the Service from within the registry .. but then started
    getting WinMgmt Event ID 10 & 24 errors (WMI-related).

    So, my advice, do make sure that your motherboard model really is
    supported before chansing an install.

    [*1] PC Probe II 1.01.10(2006-01-18)
    [*2] Yes i spell like a crow, but the three p's in suppport are not my
    mistake. :)
    [*3] A normal exit, not a crash.

    ... et al., Jun 18, 2006

  3. Does it support the A8N-E?

    Any ideas what it offers over the earlier version? I've not seen it for
    download, as far as I can see at Asus's site..

    StainlessSteelRat, Jun 18, 2006
  4. Scratch that. I found it at the A8N-E downloads page. I'll give it a go...

    StainlessSteelRat, Jun 18, 2006
  5. ANTant

    * * Chas Guest

    I am using a refurbished ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
    that I got from ASUS' FTP server. Does this
    the old PC Probe one, just wondering what
    I'm running 2.23.08 on an old K7M system and it seems to be fine.

    I've been looking for a later version, where did you find 2.25?

    Chas.

    * * Chas, Jun 18, 2006
  6. ANTant

    ... et al. Guest

    One place is at <ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/>.
    Three archives of slightly different sizes to hesitate between. ;-/

    <ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/PCProbe22502.zip>
    <ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/Probe_22502.zip>
    <ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/Probe_32bit_V22502.zip>

    --
    Sign on the porch says "Three's A Crowd",
    Sign on the porch says "Three's A Crowd".

    Please followup in the newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    ... et al., Jun 19, 2006
  7. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Where did you download PC Probe 2 from?
    --
    "You're kissing an ant hill." --Mike Nelson
    /\___/\
    ( )

    ANTant, Jun 19, 2006
  8. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Hmm, didn't see one from my K8V SE Deluxe.

    ANTant, Jun 19, 2006
  9. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Chas, from ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/ (connections refused at this time).

    ANTant, Jun 19, 2006
  10. ANTant

    ... et al. Guest

    Happened to be <ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/ProbeII10110.zip>
    But testing right now yealds "Firefox can't establish a connection to
    the server at ftp.asus.com".

    <ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/> works for me at the moment, with lots of Probes
    in the same relative path.

    --
    "When you're lost in Juarez
    And it's Eastertime too"

    ... et al., Jun 19, 2006
  11. ANTant

    * * Chas Guest

    Thanks, wonder what the difference is?

    I tried DL from there and got timed out. I have cable but if was DL at
    less than "500" bytes per second! Wish TW would speed up their
    servers!!!

    Chas.

    * * Chas, Jun 19, 2006
  12. ANTant

    * * Chas Guest

    I tried DL from there and got timed out. I have cable but it was DL at
    less than 500 bytes per second! Wish TW would speed up their servers!!!

    Do you know what the difference is between Probe and Probe II ?

    Chas.

    * * Chas, Jun 19, 2006
  13. ANTant

    * * Chas Guest

    ASUS Taiwan must be using a 286 with a 5 1/2" floppy for a server! In
    the 8-9 years I've been messing with Asus mobos, their TW sites have
    always been dog slow!

    Chas.

    * * Chas, Jun 19, 2006
  14. ANTant

    ... et al. Guest

    PC Probe I 2.25.02(2005-07-17) archive(2005-11-02)
    PC Probe I 2.25.02(2005-07-17) archive(2006-02-19)
    (contains an extra 'SChinese.ini' file, besides the
    'TChinese.ini' & 'English.ini' files present in both archives.)
    I saw two of them on another server a while back. The actual 'PC Probe'
    software is identical, there are small differences in the
    [OS_Language_Tag] section in the 'AsusSetup.ini' files, the
    'AsusSetup.exe' is a newer version in the older archive (1.0.8.0 vs.
    1.0.6.0), and there is an extra Simplified Chinese ini-file per above.

    You'll have to investigate the 3'rd one yourself.

    --
    "You'll know all about it, love,
    It'll fit you like a glove

    ... et al., Jun 20, 2006
  15. ANTant

    Ben Dover Guest

    EVERYTHING at the Asus site is ridiculously slow, from the Forum to
    downloads. Using ultra fast boardband FIOS I typically get 7-12kb/sec
    download speeds. Doesn't do a bit of good to complain, either - they
    apparently don't care. Like peoiple will want to DL a 5mb driver pack at
    7kb/sec. Sure. They seriously need some mirror sites for their downloads.

    Ben Dover, Jul 5, 2006
  16. ANTant

    Ed Guest

    If you know what file you want try using an Asus FTP server.
    I'm getting around 50 KBps here (USA) using "asus.com" (FTP).

    asus.com (216.148.234.177):pORT 21
    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Jul 6, 2006
  17. ANTant

    Ben Dover Guest

    While 50 kb/s is certainly faster than 7, it's still ridiculous for a major
    corportation like Asus to provide its customers.

    Ben Dover, Jul 6, 2006
  18. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Ditto. And this have been like for years as far as I remember. :(
    --
    "Ants can attack with a grain of rice." --Madagascar
    /\___/\
    ( )

    ANTant, Jul 8, 2006