    worried about overheating but . . . it would be nice to monitor all 4
    fan connectors.

    Thanks,

    Vader, Oct 28, 2005

  2. Vader

    Ed Medlin Guest

    You need the 4th wire for case fan monitoring and Qfan2. My P5GDC will not
    monitor or control case (or cpu for that matter) unless the fan plug has the
    4 wire fan header plug.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Oct 30, 2005

  3. Vader

    Vader Guest

    Ed,

    Thanks for the reply. The MoBo only has 3-pin connectors for these
    fans and the BIOS screens report the fan speeds correctly. Also, Qfan
    seems to be working on the CPU ands chipset fan since I can hear them
    change speed as the workload increases or decreases. I've never seen
    a fan with 4 wires.

    Vader

    Vader, Oct 31, 2005
  4. Vader

    Ed Medlin Guest

    The new Qfan2 on the new boards, mine included, use a 4 pin CPU fan plug
    header. I have a P5GDC-D. I changed the stock Intel HS/Fan with a second
    party fan and it has 3 pins and Qfan2 is now disabled. It is as quiet or
    quieter now anyway, and cooler too, so it is not a big issue. Looking
    further at my board it seems that the chassis fan headers are only 3 pin so
    now I am a bit confused.....:). I assumed all the fan headers would be the
    same. (Assuming can put a foot in your mouth:) I have manual controls for
    my chassis fans and do not use the motherboard headers, but now you have me
    wondering what the [email protected](( not having the 4th pin is doing to disable Qfan2. It
    is now grayed out in the bios. Everything is cool with this system so I am
    not going to worry about it. It seems yours is fine too.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Nov 1, 2005
  5. Vader

    ManyDisplays

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Where do I get 4-pin chassy fans ???

    I like the Q-Fan feature, very much. It seems to work very well with high-end hyper-threaded P4s, which have a large dynamic range of heat output. Although, I think it works less well on some CPUs were the dynamic range of that heat output is smaller. And it did require several tweaks to the bios settings to get it just right.

    Of course running a low quality fan with a smart controller is not as good is using a high quality fan without a controller, but a smart controller on a medium grade fan seems to be better than the best that can be done without a controller.

    But where do I get 4-pin chasse fans of the type that work with Q-Fan2. Most “4-pin” chasse fans are for 4-pin power connectors not 4-pin controllers.

    I have SLI and a large Raid-5 stack. Under some operating conditions most of my heat is not CPU related. I’ve actually measured power supply outputs.

    I’ve tried the manual controllers which are great for gamming (you set it to high speed when gaming and back to normal when done) but require too much intervention for general purpose usage. Symantec can kick off and overheat your system when you’re not even in the building.

    The fans with attached temperature sensors tend to be hardwired for CPU temperature ranges which are too hot for case temperatures. If you run the case at the same temperature as the CPU then the CPU (or the graphics card or the bridges or the disks) can’t dump heat into the case (without rising to even higher temperatures).

    ManyDisplays, Jul 2, 2006