    DVD Pioneer DVR-109
    DVD Toshiba 1912
    Seasonic S-12 600W PSU

    Scott, Aug 13, 2005

  2. What is the voltage it's reading?

    Possible it's some kind of sensor issue, but most likely your voltage is
    really too low.

    Robert Hancock, Aug 13, 2005

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    What is the voltage it's reading?
    The voltaget sensor gives a fluctuating reading. I've not seen it drop
    below 4.65 and it usually is above 4.8. The odd thing is load on the
    drives and the system is totally unrelated to the alerts from Asus Probe.

    Scott, Aug 13, 2005
  4. Scott

    Nigel Morgan Guest

    The "official" +5V tolerances are +4.8V to +5.2V. Anything outside this range is
    considered to be out of spec and manufacturers warn of potential
    stability/reliability problems if this limit is not adhered to because too low
    or too high +5V affects the logic timing.

    Your +5V may be momentarily dipping below 4.8V due possibly to mains brownouts
    (where the mains supply "sags" for an instant), large spikes or the +5V is
    possibly being overloaded (unlikely, but possible).

    Why not buy a digital voltmeter and check it yourself? They're cheap enough
    these days (around $10 here in the UK), and it's easy to check: the +5V is the
    red wire on a standard 4-pin hard drive power connector. Use one of the two
    black wires in the middle for the ground. The yellow wire is +12V. With a bit of
    care it's easy to (carefully) poke the probes into the plug to make contact with
    the connectors. Try to avoid shorting the two probes together as that will
    almost certainly kill the PSU and posibly other components as well! (Guess how I
    know that!!).

    If the +5V is definitely too low, you'll need a new PSU. Do yourself a favour
    and buy an Enermax or better still an Antec TruePower (400W minimum) they're
    great - steady as a rock!

    Nigel
    (computer engineer for 25 years!)

    Aagh! Every time I learn something new... it pushes something old out of my brain!

    Nigel Morgan, Aug 25, 2005
  5. Scott

    RG Guest

    I have a bit of a different problem with the 5V and Asus Probe. I run
    it with PCPTray was well.

    But periodically the 5V jumps to 6.021 volts and always to that
    voltage. I have the Probe set to update every 5 seconds and the
    voltage never stays hi more than the 5 second update cycle.

    If I turn off the 5V checking in Asus Probe PCPTray still monitors it
    and never jumps up. If I have it turned on in ASUS Probe, PCPTray
    does show the voltage spike.

    PCPTray is available here http://www.geocities.com/edgemeal_software/

    RG, Sep 12, 2005