ASUS Radeon 9600XT ATI driver stops Windows XP Pro getting to Login Screen

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Chris Sze, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. Chris Sze

    Chris Sze Guest

    Hi,

    I recently put together a new PC with the following:

    ASUS A7N8Xe deluxe motherboard
    ASUS Radeon 9600XT 8x AGP video card 128mb
    2 x 160GB Seagate SATA harddisks
    Samsung 52x24x52 CDRW.

    Installed Windows XP Pro about 3 weeks ago and it was working fine until
    this morning. I turned on the PC and it went blank after the Windows XP

    I reinstalled Windows XP and found that the problem occurs after I install
    the ATI driver on the ASUS Radeon 9600XT Driver CD.

    It stopped working for some unknown reason, and even reinstalling Windows
    XP, then the motherboard drivers followed by the ASUS drivers (which I did
    the first time) doesn't even work at all now. I have no idea what could be
    causing the problems.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks
    Chris

    Chris Sze, Aug 25, 2004

  2. Chris Sze

    Paul Guest

    Download another driver from ATI. I don't know why yours has stopped
    working, but the driver from the Catalyst CD that came with my ATI9800
    didn't work, and getting a later one from the ATI site fixed it. This
    can sometimes be due to the SmartGART code getting stuck while it is
    testing the card to see what AGP speed it will support.

    The other unlikely problem, is related to power. The video card
    might be drawing a little extra current just as the desktop appears.
    So, if playing the driver game doesn't fix your problem, find
    another PSU to swap in. (I guess your BIOS screen still works, so
    you can actually check this out by visiting the hardware monitor
    page in the BIOS and seeing whether the PSU voltages are within
    the normal 5% tolerance. Only waste time swapping the PSU if they
    look to be off by closer to 10%.)

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 25, 2004

  3. Chris Sze

    Chris Sze Guest

    Hi Paul,

    I tried the newest drivers however same problem.

    Also checked the power issues and everything was well within the range.

    I even did a clean install 3 times and the same problem. Is it possible
    there is a fault with the MB or video card? It only plays up when I try to
    install the drivers for the video card which is odd considering it was fine
    three weeks ago when I first put it together.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks
    Chris

    Chris Sze, Aug 25, 2004
  4. Chris Sze

    Paul Guest

    Nothing else I can think of. A hardware fault is likely, if you've
    tried different versions of drivers and symptoms don't change.

    BIOS Settings I would try:
    AGP Frequency [66] or 67, assuming Auto isn't working
    FSB Spread Spectrum [Disabled] shouldn't be necessary but...
    AGP Spread Spectrum [Disabled] shouldn't be necessary but...
    Graphics Aperture [64MB] should be good enough
    AGP 8X Support [Disabled] will probably be ignored by Catalyst
    AGP Fast Write [Disabled] will probably be ignored by Catalyst

    Install Windows
    Install Nvidia Forceware 4.27 (http://www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html)
    Install a different Catalyst
    Install a different DirectX if you can find one

    (I think Catalyst has a dependency on which version of DirectX you
    use, and that might be why DirectX is included on the ATI CDROM. At
    least ATI has some minimum DirectX requirement.)

    You might be right about the video card. It could be faulty hardware,
    but a typical failure would be, say, bad memory, in which case you'd
    get colored blocks, or some other visual artifacts. The blank screen
    implies an AGP problem, and unfortunately, at least with the
    Catalysts I've tried, you cannot even go into a motherboard BIOS
    and turn down the AGP to 4X, 2X, or 1X to try and fix it. I found
    the SmartGART code ignored the BIOS setting, and instead it checks
    the status register on the video card. If it finds 8X, it will try
    to run at 8X. If you could get into wherever the SmartGART startup
    conditions are stored, then maybe you could adjust it. You cannot
    do it with the SmartGART tab, until the computer has successfully
    booted once, so it is a chicken vs egg problem.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 25, 2004