Asus Rampage III Extreme Motherboard Woes

Discussion in 'Asus' started by willriker, Oct 23, 2010.

1. willriker

willriker

Okay;

I had an Asus Rampage II motherboard with 6GB of DDR 3 1600mhz RAM (Kingston) and 8 each 1TB USB external Buffalo drives serving as my movie server - all working just fine. I decided to upgrade to an Antec 12-Hundred-Two tower case with 8 each Caviar Black 2TB 3-1/2" internal drives, 24 GB DDR 3 1600mhz RAM (Corsair), Asus Rampage III Extreme motherboard to get the 9 each SATA drive inputs and simplify my cabling, etc. I am using a Cool Master 600W PSU.

Well, Rampage III Extreme would not boot up, even after I stripped back components to nothing. She powers up the CPU, hard drive, DVD and all that but no video. If I hook up the 2 each 4-pin EATX12V power connectors the system will not power up. If I pull those 2 4-pin plugs then the system will power up. The Asus manual says to hook them up.

So, I took it all apart and tried the Rampage II motherboard and same exact thing happens. I swapped the Diamond Video HDMI / DVI / VGA card with an old spare Diamond 5770-1G but no joy. I tested the 19" LCD monitor on another PC and it is fine.

Any ideas? I've got about $4K in stuff and none of it seems to work. I am totally stumped. I have built about 30 PC's for my own use over the last 20 years so I am not new to the assembly process but this is the first time I have had this level of difficulty.

I appreciate any ideas and help on this.

willriker, Oct 23, 2010
Ask a Question