    I overclocked and abused this motherboard for almost 3 years and Asus sent
    me a new one in 5 days.
    What a great turnaround, no wonder why Asus is the best

    Mike, Oct 17, 2004

  2. Mike

    Ginchy Guest

    Did you tell asus the way you treated their board or did you make a
    fradulent claim?

    Ginchy, Oct 17, 2004

  3. oh cmon they guy was clearly "tongue in cheek" with his statement! who cares
    if he oc'd his card and got a replacement? good on him!

    clyde

    Clyde Anderson, Oct 17, 2004
  4. Mike

    Phil Guest

    For screwing ASUS and wasting their time with replacing a board that *he*
    fried, so it takes longer for people with genuine claims to get
    replacements?

    You overclock and you knowingly put your hardware in risk of failing, in
    which case as it's your fault, so you should replace the hardware yourself!

    Phil, Oct 17, 2004
  5. Mike

    Mark1 Guest

    Het is zò dat Mike formuleerde :
    Asus will not even reply a simple e-mail, no wonder asus sucks.

    Mark1, Oct 17, 2004
  6. "You overclock and you knowingly put your hardware in risk of failing, in
    which case as it's your fault, so you should replace the hardware yourself!"

    I agree about the risk part, but hey, if ASUS is dumb enough to replace it,
    who cares?
    How many ppl in herehave had a bad experience with Asus? time for them to
    get a piece of their own medicine!

    Clyde

    Clyde Anderson, Oct 18, 2004
  7. Mike

    rstlne Guest

    Unless you do a physical modification of the motherboard then it shouldnt
    fail..
    If it's able to burn itself out then they didnt put the proper safeguards in
    place and he should get a new board.

    rstlne, Oct 18, 2004
  8. Mike

    DonC Guest

    HEY! They responded to my email. Of course, it didn't make an ounce of
    sense. Somewhere between standard boilerplate response and Chinese English.
    It didn't answer my question but it did tell me I was wasting my time ; )

    This will be my last ASUS board barring a miraculous, but unlikely,
    turnaround.

    DonC, Oct 18, 2004
  9. Mike

    Greysky Guest

    Personally, I think getting 3 years out of any board is a good run. But,
    after 3 years the technology has changed so much I would want a new board,
    not just a replacement for an old one. I mean, is it *worth it* to OC a 3
    year old design? No way...

    Greysky, Oct 18, 2004
  10. Mike

    DonC Guest

    Suppose you're running 3 or 4 home computers. Your own; one for you wife who
    primarily does email, surfs and plays slow games; one for your grandkids (or
    kids) that keeps them for destroying yours; etc.

    You always sacrifice yourself by staying at the leading edge ; ) Your wife
    gets your old machine which she is more than happy with because after 2 or 3
    years you got all the bugs out and have tuned it perfectly. The
    grandkids/kids get the wife's old machine 'cuz they don't care. In my case
    that's a 1999 ABIT BH6 running a Celeron 600C at 928MHz. Run cool and
    reliably. So I'M OCing a 5 year old design and boy is it *worth it*!

    Now if you have teens, the strategy has to change. Probably Me > teens >
    wife > kids. That is, of course, if the teens let you get away with it ; )

    What's the flaw with this approach?

    DonC, Oct 18, 2004
  11. Mike

    dino Guest

    at least they reply...they did for me to..but was useless info...try getting
    a response from DFI

    dino, Oct 18, 2004
  12. Mike

    P2B Guest

    No flaw - except perhaps that you're always debugging the leading edge,
    and you also have to support a variety of hand-me-downs.

    This household has 6 computers, plus my bench systems, and all use P2B
    series motherboards with onboard SCSI - an 8 year old design. The adults
    get dual processor systems (2 x P3-S 1.4Ghz), while tweens and teens get
    single Tualatin Celerons @ 1.5Ghz and decent video cards since that's
    all they care about anyway.

    Everyone's happy, parts are cheap, and I only have to support one
    architecture. Works here :)

    P2B

    P2B, Oct 18, 2004
  13. Mike

    sheer Guest

    Did you tell your mum you masterbate?

    sheer, Oct 18, 2004
  14. Mike

    eric Guest

    If the board can overclock, that is if the board gives the user the
    ability to hit 133Mhz or 150Mhz or 200Mhz, and the user sets it to
    this frequency, how can the user be responsible for any untoward mobo
    reaction?

    We are not talking about overvolting a cpu or memory, whose burn-out
    would be the responsibility of the user.

    If the user made a physical mod to the board hardware, then the user
    would be culpable and ASUS would recognise that on the board when
    RMA-ed and decline.

    eric

    eric, Oct 18, 2004
  15. Mike

    DonC Guest

    Good way to ward off Alzheimer's : )
    Ah, but variety is the spice of life ; ) Since I'm called on to debug a
    wide variety of machines (not for profit), it helps to keep my experiences
    diversified.

    I almost picked up an Apple G3 for $150 a year ago just for the learning
    exercise. Dashed that when I was DXed with prostate cancer. Now that I've
    got by that, I wish I'd have followed through -- you can sell them on Ebay
    for $350 +/-. A learn and profit exercise.

    DonC

    DonC, Oct 18, 2004
  16. Mike

    Mike Guest

    That overclocking also fried the CPU and killed the Radeon card. Intel's
    turnaround was also great, I got a replacement in 10 days. The Radeon card
    took forever because it was a "powered by ATI' card. It took damn near a
    month to get a replacement. In the meantime I bought another Radeon card at
    Best Buy and returned it for a refund when the RMA card finally arrived. So
    I got the motherboard, CPU and video card replaced through RMA. Since I am
    also overclocking this system, when this motherboard dies I'll definitely
    buy another Asus.

    Mike, Oct 21, 2004