Asus Sabretooth Z97 Mark S orange / white LED

Discussion in 'Asus' started by cassiel2010, Jun 15, 2023.

1. cassiel2010

cassiel2010

I just had something that seems very strange happen. I've had my desktop for 8 years, built it myself, no problems so far. The graphics card I've always had in it was an Asus Strix GTX 970. Whenever I shut the PC down, assuming I don't completely cut off the power the motherboard has ALWAYS has a little white LED stay on. I always assumed this is because there's always power to the motherboard and the LED was indicating this.

Today I changed the graphics card to a Zotac RTX 3060 Amp White. Booted up, everything seems to work fine. Except now the motherboard has an orange LED lit and not a white one.

In terms of power, the old GPU was using a single 8 pin connector from the PSU (PCIE6+2) and the new card needed a second 8 pin connector, for which I used a separate cable. That's the only difference in connections.

I can't find any info on the web, and the motherboard says that an orange LED just means the PC is is a standby / soft-off state. So I'm wondering why has there been a white LED for the past 8 years. I'm a bit concerned that something is wrong but I don't know what, and of course the motherboard is well out of warrantee so I can't even send ASUS an email.

Does anyone have any knowledge of why there have been 2 different LED colours?

Thanks.

cassiel2010, Jun 15, 2023
Ask a Question