Asus SmartDoctor and Asus EAX800XT-PE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ziggi, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. Ziggi

    Ziggi Guest

    Hi!

    I've got a very weird problem... I've got an Asus EAX800XT-PE. When reading
    the temperatures using ATITool and/or Everest Pro, they inform me that my
    GPU idles around 51 and the GfxRam around 41. Under heavy load the GPU rises
    to around 57-60 and the RAM about the same.
    BUT... When I start up Asus SmartDoctor the temperature drops from 51/41
    (GPU/RAM) and to 41/41 (idle). It does not happen over a few minutes - but
    over half a second. Now the load temperature on the GPU rises to about 68
    and the RAM to about 58.

    The fan speed does not change so I don't think it is a matter of fan-control
    profiles (which SmartDoctor provides).

    Does anyone have any clue what is going on - or have similar experiences?
    Which temps should I rely on?

    This really makes my poor brain explode ;-)

    TIA
    /Michael

    Ziggi, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Ziggi

    les Guest

    think about it.
    Does it make sense that the chip would cool that much, that fast ?
    I think the programs are interpreting the sensor data in two different
    ways. I'm assuming the data being read is based on imbeded thermistors
    which will give a resistor value based on ambient temp.
    Now the Q is, what is the algorithm used in the programs to calculate
    your readings? Is there a standard between the chip-makers and
    software engineers? If not, this could be a problem !
    I would, therefore, trust the app written specifically for your MB for those
    reasons, and be leery of other apps.

    Les

    les, Feb 12, 2005

  3. Ziggi

    Ziggi Guest

    Hi Les!

    Yes - I completely agree. One of my main points in my post was that there is
    NO way that a chip can cool that much - that fast (ok - lets keep liquid
    nitrogen out of the picture ;-) ). The funny thing is that the SmartDoctor
    readings not only differ from the readings from all other apps - it also
    changes the readings in them too. If SmartDoctor was reading 41/41 and
    ATItool 51/41 it was pretty straight forward. The funny thing is that
    SmartDoctor suddently makes ATItool read 41/41 too.

    Ziggi, Feb 14, 2005