    on the audio card. Does anyone have a diagram or something for the
    audio card?

    Thanks for your time.

    Otsego Fire 56, Dec 11, 2007

  2. Otsego Fire 56

    Paul Guest

    There are a minimum of five signals that should be connected.
    The missing pin (pin 8), will help you get oriented. Four
    wires go on the side that doesn't have the missing pin.

    Pin Signal Name Pin Signal Name
    1 MIC 2 GND
    3 MIC Power 4 NC
    5 Line Out (R) 6 NC
    7 No_Connect No Pin
    9 Line Out (L) 10 NC

    The above definitions are the "AC'97" definitions, which is most
    likely what the computer case uses.

    There is one computer case, reported to have both types of cables
    in it. If you had an actual HDaudio type cable, the pinout would
    be similar to this.

    1 MIC2_L 2 GND
    3 MIC2_R 4 PRESENCE#
    5 LINE2_R 6 FSENSE1
    7 FAUDIO_JD No Pin
    9 LINE2_L 10 FSENSE2

    The difference in the HDaudio case, is split into two groups. The
    PRESENCE# pin, indicates to the audio device, that an HDaudio cable
    is connected. If PRESENCE# is grounded, then the audio device knows
    the cable is there.

    Pin 7, 6, and 10, are part of jack detection for HDaudio mode. If
    true HDaudio jacks are being used, they have a separate side contact
    (isolated switch pair), and that is what connects to 7, 6, and 10.
    HDaudio uses two resistor ladders, consisting of 4 resistors each.
    When the switch on the jack closes, it changes the voltage readout
    from the resistor ladder. The whole scheme is intended, so that
    the audio codec only needs two input pins, to sense the presence
    or absence of 8 jacks. So 7, 6, and 10, are connected to
    one of the resistor trees on the motherboard.

    (See page 172, near the back, for how jack detection works)
    ftp://download.intel.com/standards/hdaudio/pdf/HDAudio_03.pdf

    If you use a BIOS setting, to set the AAFP header mode to AC'97,
    then you don't need to worry about jack sensing. And that is why
    only five wires need to be connected, as shown in the first
    table above.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 11, 2007

  3. I just received my Asus Formula Maximus and was thinking the same thing?
    On my old P5B Deluxe there was a 'Front Panel Audio Connector'
    header for this purpose, but the Formula Maximus manual does not show
    one. There is a header on the Supreme FX II audio card, but I'm not
    sure what it's for?

    Steven

    Steven Hilgendorf, Dec 12, 2007
  4. Otsego Fire 56

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Paul typed:
    <snip>

    I did a build a couple weeks ago in a Gigabyte 3D Aurora case that has two
    different connectors for the front audio, you just use the one that is
    correct for your board.

    ~misfit~, Dec 15, 2007