    pack 2 kills it. I have bios
    1007, just in case that is of importance.

    Anyone successfully managed to put SP2 onto one of these?

    n, Aug 21, 2004

  2. I assume you mean the good old T2P4 and BIOS 0207? It could be that SP2
    requires SSE support. Have you tried a fresh XP install, followed by
    direct installation of SP2?

    Stephan

    Stephan Grossklass, Aug 21, 2004

  3. n

    n Guest

    No, it's the shiney new T2-P
    http://uk.asus.com/products/desktop/t2-p-d/overview.htm
    Yes, I did try a format and a fresh install of XP followed by SP2 and get
    the same results.
    When broken, and booting in safe mode, the line it appears to stop on is...
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\btkrnl.sys

    n, Aug 22, 2004
  4. n

    Paul Guest

    I used btkrnl.sys in Google and got this:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=16d601c426b1$f1ae37d0$

    The poster in that case, used Safe Mode (Disk Logging) as his workaround.

    Another post says:

    "btkrnl.sys which is a Bluetooth Protocol Driver for Windows 2000..."

    Who would've guessed that... I was thinking British Telecom.
    Does your system have Bluetooth ?

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 22, 2004
  5. n

    n Guest

    Hi Paul,
    My system does have USB bluetooth, very interesting. However, having messed
    around with this
    machine for hours this morning, I am loosing the will to upgrade it. Norton
    Ghost is worth every
    penny it costs..... On formatting and installing base XP, with just the
    motherboard devices
    configured, and no external devices, it stops after installing SP2 on the
    boot at
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\mup.sys
    I tried the Microsoft procedure for backing off the service pack and trying
    to boot and view
    the log files, but guess what, it won't boot up!
    There is something wierd about the Asus T2-P. Has anyone managed to SP2 a
    T2-P??

    n, Aug 22, 2004
  6. n

    n Guest

    Looks like something weird to do with Prescott CPU and Intel chipset
    combination.
    Found this, and it seems to sum the situation up perfectly.
    http://www.mcse.ms/message962236.html

    n, Aug 22, 2004
  7. n

    Cari Guest

    See:
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7447

    Cari, Aug 24, 2004
  8. n

    Paul Guest

    BIOS 1007 has microcode for 0F0A, 0F12, 0F13, 0F24, 0F25, 0F27, 0F29
    (04/06/2003) and 0F29 (18/07/2003). I think a Prescott would be
    0F33, so the conditions for that theory hold, and the motherboard
    in question probably doesn't completely support Prescott. (I
    cannot find the motherboard or T2-P on the cpusupport web page,
    and that is why I had to extract the BIOS file.)

    If the board had an Award BIOS, you might be able to install your
    own microcode using CTMC (i.e. without having to completely flash
    a new BIOS - the procedure just installs a 2KB microcode file and
    won't corrupt the BIOS because the microcode segment is transient).
    I don't know if the same hook is in the AMI BIOS, such that CTMC
    could work or not.

    http://www.tipperlinne.com/bios6b4.htm

    The AMIBCP75 program can be used to manipulate the AMI BIOS - that
    is what I used to extra the microcode segment above. But, both
    CBROM and AMIBCP tend to hiccup with Asus BIOS, as Asus has messed
    with the format a bit, and I haven't had any success in editing
    BIOS files yet (others have). If going this route (editing a BIOS
    and flashing the whole thing), a BIOS Savior with duplicate flash
    chip is a must. That assumes there is a model of BIOS Savior that
    fits in a T2-P.

    It might be better to phone Asus tech support and find out if
    there is any plan to put microcode for the Prescott in that
    BIOS. Explain how SP2 won't work without it :)

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 25, 2004
  9. n

    n Guest

    Hi Paul,
    Thanks for the info. It sounds a bit out of my league, so I will wait for
    the next
    bios release from Asus. This box is flogged as supporting Prescott's, so
    they
    are sure to issue a bios update to fix it - otherwise they can have the
    bloody thing back!

    n, Aug 25, 2004