Asus V9520 Magic

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Bonobo, Oct 4, 2004.

  1. Bonobo

    Bonobo Guest

    Hello all overclocking people......

    I have raised the FSB from my AMD 1800+ Palomino to 140 and it´s all
    running well.
    Now I want to do someting at my ASUS V9520 /fx5200.

    Before I overclocked my CPU, I played with the ASUS software
    With the supplied software I could raise the...

    Engine clock from 250 up to 265
    Memory clock 400-200 to 352 ???????? (I dont understand this....yet)

    I have tried with "coolbits" but this went to nowhere(installed older
    versions nvidia??needed detonator or not,wasn't clear to mee)

    Is there a good program to control my ASUS as good as possible??
    (I don't need to squeeze the last Mhz out of his wires) Cooling of the GPU
    is perfect.

    Regards

    Bonobo

    Bonobo, Oct 4, 2004

  2. I used coolbits with the Detonator drivers (version 56.56 for XP, 56.72
    for 98). You might have installed older drivers with the new registry
    tweak, or new drivers with an old tweak, but anyway, here is the
    contents of a .reg file to give coolbits for the new drivers:

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NvTweak]
    "CoolBits"=dword:00000003
    "NvCplEnableHardwarePage" = dword:00000001
    "NvCplEnableAGPSettingsPage" = dword:00000001
    "NvCplEnableAdditionalInfoPage"=dword:00000001

    The highest I got mine to was 295 MHz (clock) and 420 MHz (memory), from
    250/333. Mine was cooled quite well, having a case fan blowing on it,
    but not superbly.

    BananaOfTheNight, Oct 4, 2004

  3. Bonobo

    Bonobo Guest

    Thanks for the fast reply,

    At this monent I use XP and my driver is: 6.14.10.5664 (according MS-XP
    system info).

    So I understand I have to download coolbits again(what version??) and the
    detonator(version??)
    After install I have to add your lines in regedit4 ???
    I've never done this so checking if this monkey understands correctly.

    Regards

    Bonobo Netherlands

    Bonobo, Oct 4, 2004
  4. At this monent I use XP and my driver is: 6.14.10.5664 (according MS-XP
    It looks like you are running 56.64 drivers. They should work with the
    coolbits tweak.
    Coolbits as such isn't downloaded - it is built in to the detonator
    drivers. To enable it, create a standard .txt file and put in the stuff
    between <<start>> and <<end>>. Rename the .txt file to have a .reg
    extension, then run it.

    <<start>>

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NvTweak]
    "CoolBits"=dword:00000003
    "NvCplEnableHardwarePage" = dword:00000001
    "NvCplEnableAGPSettingsPage" = dword:00000001
    "NvCplEnableAdditionalInfoPage"=dword:00000001

    The regedit4 line is a pointer for your PC - reassuring it that it is
    using the correct version of the file, etc. I'm attaching the .reg file
    (if I can upload it), so you can just use that if you want.
    It's a relatively simple process - so don't worry too much.

    BananaOfTheNight, Oct 4, 2004
  5. Bonobo

    Bonobo Guest

    Oke, let's see if we can get the monkey out of the tree....

    Thanks bananaOfTheNight

    Bonobo

    Bonobo, Oct 4, 2004
  6. Bonobo

    Bronney Hui Guest

    Bronney Hui, Oct 7, 2004
  7. Bonobo

    Bonobo Guest

    Looks very nice indeed!! The limits are quite high(even out of specs if I
    dare...)
    The cooling of my GPU is good (selfmade water block 28C). Do you think I
    can cross the border of the core clock??
    Standard is 250 and the 1st border of Riva is on 315 (thats what I use
    now).

    Bonobo, Oct 8, 2004
  8. Looks very nice indeed!! The limits are quite high(even out of specs if
    There's a way of testing: bring one of the clocks up in an increment of
    10 MHz and then run a 3DMark program (any is good, so long as it
    stresses your system. I used 03). Let it go through the benchmark (not
    letting your attention wander from the screen) and if you see any
    glitches then stop the benchmark immediately and put the clock back.

    It's hard to define what I mean by 'glitch' - it is a kind of texture
    anomaly that can either place polygons at random in the screen (easily
    visible) or corrupt textures (they appear in strange colours). I can't
    really explain their appearance well, but you'll know it when you see
    it. Some tests show them up better than others - the Nature test from 03
    is a good one to look for errors on (plus the graphics card should have
    heated up somewhat by then).

    BananaOfTheNight, Oct 8, 2004
  9. Bonobo

    Bonobo Guest

    I think I know what you mean. before this Asus I had a "point of view"
    fx5200.
    This card gave strange multi-coloured rectangles' and all kinds of
    coloured "carpets" on hills in my Battlefied 1942 game. Not on every map
    but some maps where unplayable for my card. Finely the fan of this card
    broke down and the shop gave me the ASUS that only had a heatsink.
    I didn't trust the heat dissipation when playing Battlefield and placed a
    temp sensor.
    In Idle around 33C but when playing Battlefield OVER 70C!!! Thats when I
    decided to takeaway the heatsink place a selfmade waterblock. Temperature
    now in Idle 27C and when playing Battlefied +1 or +2.

    Question: Can this test or raised clock destroy my card or is it just in
    indicator that I went to high??

    Regards,

    Bonobo
    DutchDareDevil

    Bonobo, Oct 8, 2004
  10. I think I know what you mean. before this Asus I had a "point of view"
    This is exactly what I mean.
    The glitches just give you an indication of when you have passed a
    particular point in temperature (and so you need to turn it down). Also,
    as far as I know, overclocking any electical components so that they
    heat up will shorten their life (but it will not kill them immediately).
    You might knock about 5 years off the life of your card with a decent
    overclock, but seeing as these things can last for 15 years or more and
    given the pace of technology, it isn't that serious.

    The next limit you will hit is the voltage limit - above a certain clock
    speed, it will be unstable regardless of cooling because there isn't
    enough voltage across the chips. Voltmods seem rather complex to me and
    it may be cheaper to get a new card (the FX 5900 range is dropping in
    price quite well - my FX 5900 XT is 4 times as fast as my old 5200, but
    for only 2.5 times the price).

    BananaOfTheNight, Oct 8, 2004
  12. Bonobo

    Bonobo Guest