    Otherwise, best notebook I've ever owned.....

    Thanks in advance.

    Martin.

    Martin, Dec 18, 2005

  2. Martin

    Paul Guest

    Is it possible the combo jack is Toslink (optical SPDIF) ?

    http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=153

    Looks like none of the Asus docs define it.

    If Toslink is visible light, you might see some red light
    coming from the jack. It it was infrared, pointing a
    camcorder or web camera at the jack, might show light
    coming out. I don't know if there is any sensing of cable
    presence, to make it work or not. Check any Sound control
    panel software, to see if the SPDIF has to be enabled.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 18, 2005

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Thanks Paul,

    You might have hit the nail on the head.

    A red light turns on inside the socket when the sound management software
    turns on the digital output.

    Now I just have to find somewhere to buy a cable in Australia.

    First stop Monday morning, Jaycar.

    Cheers.
    Martin.

    Martin, Dec 18, 2005