at the end of my rope/IDE cable :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve Rennick, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. Steve Rennick

    jamotto Guest

    oh, I forgot to mention that it was a graphics card monitor. My
    fault.
    $149 for a 2500 Barton????
    umm, try here http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...103-379&catalog=343&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

    or here(this is more on the expensive side though)
    http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...ode=M&Product_Code=120734&Category_Code=amdxp
    I would too.
    Yes, If you have not removed all unneeded components then a resource
    conflict remains possible.
    Yes, by lowering the clock speed and putting in a Duron you have
    reduced the electrical load on the voltage regulators etc on the
    motherboard.
    Yep, it gives you one more window into your computers operating
    condition. Smartdoctor should beable to give you the voltage being
    fed to the graphics card if it varies to much then something is wrong
    with the graphics card or the motherboard(more likely of the two).

    In any case I would start backing up data that you need while it is
    running with the Duron.

    jamotto, Jan 8, 2004

  2. so definitely NOT over :)
    was running my usual stress-test (diablo 2) and the 1.2 duron rebooted.
    WOOHOO...
    just when i thought it was safe to go back in the water.
    on some other advice from the group, gonna now swap out the videocard..a
    geforce4 ti4200 for a geforce2mx (the g4's the only new thing in the box
    since the reboot started...the g2 was a good stable card for quite a while).
    let's see what happens now :)
    steve

    Steve Rennick, Jan 8, 2004

  3. The fact that your PC usually locks up or reboots during a game
    didn't check...but i usually don't enable those...to much of a performance
    hit...
    i've swapped out the videocard for an old generic geforce2 i had with older
    drivers...we'll see how that goes
    already done to all of the above...
    right now i've got the network card in pci 2 which is shared with onboard
    audio...but i've disabled the on-board audio both using the jumper and in
    the bios. my soundblaster is in pci3 (unshared). the agp slot shares
    with pci 1...nothing in there. i do have both usb's enabled...but they
    share with PCI's 4/5 which i have nothing in.
    yup...

    Also if you moved house there is the [small]
    i think i'm ok here...
    actually just re-did that tonight when i swapped the 1.2 duron back into my
    son's pc...it was actually pretty stable with the duron in it, but i got the
    same reboot while playing diablo, followed by several following as i tried
    to surf the net (IE6) and get some email (OE). anyway, i've now swapped out
    my vid card..we'll see if the machine's still running in the AM
    will do...thanks ratched...

    Steve Rennick, Jan 8, 2004
  4. $149 for a 2500 Barton????
    yup dude i'm in canada :)
    i'm WAY beyond that...a week or so ago, before i started this process, i
    fdisked, formatted, then reinstalled the OS on the chance it was windows
    related :)

    Steve Rennick, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Steve Rennick

    jamotto Guest

    I would use an older version of smartdoctor I have been using the one
    provided on the driver CD any newer version just never worked
    properly.(thought it was just my computer's problem). I don't know of
    any other program that can do what Smartdoctor does.

    jamotto, Jan 8, 2004
  6. experiment with the older video card is done...it TOO crashed. so i've
    reinstalled the geforce4...using latest nvidia reference drivers. i'm
    gonna slowly start eliminating stuff...starting with the USB ports on the
    mobo. on the other a7s333 mobo i have, i never could get the mouse working
    properly (i.e. the computer refused to boot in anything but safe mode) in
    the USB slot, so i had to use the adapter to plug it into the PS2 port.
    will leave PC on today...see if it's still running when i get home :)
    another difference between this board and the other one (aside from my boy's
    machine having nothing plugged into the USB slots), is i've got palmpilot
    cradle plugged into a com port. maybe i should pull that as well, and
    disable the com ports? following that, i'll be pulling everything out of
    the machine and putting the pieces back in one by one...i know you suggested
    a minimum config earlier jam...what was that again? vid card, floppy,
    keyboard..that was pretty much it, wasn't it?
    ps, only way i can get smartdoctor to work is by installing the asus
    drivers...which are a HUGE pain in the butt to completely wipe off your
    system. but maybe by using the OLDEST version i can find, i can get around
    that. but it seems to look for an asus .dll file when installing...

    Steve Rennick, Jan 8, 2004
  7. Steve Rennick

    jamotto Guest

    Yes, all you need for minimum config is vid card, keyboard, don't
    really need a floppy drive either just be sure to turn off all floppy
    related entries in the BIOS.

    No, big deal if smartdoctor won't work. If the computer still crashes
    after taking every thing not needed out. Well then you have ruled out
    the graphics card, the memory?(seem to recall you ran memtest86),
    Processor, the O/S(when you reinstalled it, however if it were to
    crash in the bios setup screen this would be even better)

    I think that just leaves the motherboard.

    jamotto, Jan 8, 2004
  8. dunno if this means anything BUT computer ran all day with the USB ports
    disabled, and my mouse plugged into the PS2 port. given the struggles i
    had with the other a7s33 i have (could only boot in safe mode with the mouse
    in the USB port)....
    who knows...
    i may have just gotten lucky :)
    steve