At wit's end trying to get hard drive configuration to work

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Kevin C., Oct 16, 2004.

  1. Kevin C.

    Kevin C. Guest

    I have a Seagate 160gb sata drive and a Fujitsu 40gb ata-100 drive. In bios
    I have the boot order for the seagate first, fujitsu 2nd. Actually I have
    since departitioned the Fujitsu so booting shouldn't really matter either
    way. But these problems occurred both before and after clearing that drive.

    So the deal is this -- if I set the global boot order to use hard drives
    before cd-rom, then windows (2k pro) will get to the boot-up screen but will
    then either hang at Starting Windows or it will get to the logo screen and
    stay there for several minutes before finally booting in. If I set the
    global boot order to use cd-rom before the hard drive, then the computer
    stays stuck at Boot from CD-ROM:

    All of these problems go away if I simply disconnect the Fujitsu drive.

    A few weeks ago, when I first attached the Fujitsu, I had the same issues.
    But then I went into bios and turned IDE Bus Master to Enabled. This seemed
    to solve the problem, but today I booted from a floppy disk (to run a dos
    mode program). When I restarted in regular mode, the problem came back.
    Turning Bus Master on and off doesn't do anything. I've played with a
    zillion different bios settings (at one point the machine booted into win98
    on the Fujitsu drive, even though it was still on lower priority than the
    seagate, which is why I just deleted everything on that drive).

    I am pulling my hair out trying to get my system running again and this
    problem does not seem to be documented anywhere.

    Abit NF7-S2 (Award bios)
    Windows 2k pro SP4
    Seagate on SATA-1 (IDE-3) channel
    LiteOn DVD on IDE-1 (master, cable select)
    Fujitsu on IDE-1 (slave, cable select)

    Kevin C., Oct 16, 2004

  2. Kevin C.

    borolad Guest

    Which BIOS, is it older than BIOS 23 ?
    Which mouse / keyboard USB or PS2 and make sure the correct keyboard
    and mouse support are both set to OS and not BIOS.

    In Integrated Periphs/Onboard PCI Device does it have 2 entries
    - SATA controller, and
    - SATA ROM, and are they both enabled, and ;
    - and did winblows find new hardware and install Silicon Image
    Controller ?

    Winblows puts a file called Si3112r.sys in :
    C:\windows\system32\drivers

    This file is called from oem15.inf which should be in C:\windows\inf
    You may additionally have a oem15.inf in C:\windows\lastgood\inf

    BoroLad

    borolad, Oct 16, 2004

  3. Kevin C.

    gongshowbob Guest

    update the bios using the updater tool from their website, and that will fix
    the problem

    gongshowbob, Oct 18, 2004