AT91rm9200 Devel. Board (Student Project): Choice of OS??

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Mayank Kaushik, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    Im a senior undergrad working on a project to develop an
    AT91RM9200-based development board, which will be my final undergrad
    project. Till now, i have been working on interfacing stuff to this
    controller, setting up its internal peripherals to build interfaces for
    a final development board.

    Nows the time to start thinking about having an OS running on the final
    product. To this end, ive been looking for an OS which would fit the
    bill.

    Obviously, the first choice was ARM-Linux. It is whole-heartedly
    supported by Atmel for this particular uC im using. But the quandry im
    faced with now is that it looks like theyve already done everything
    thats needed for the OS to be run on this uC..seems like i just have to
    add enough storage for the OS to breathe in, theyv taken care of the
    drivers etc for the peripherals..theres nothing left for me to do! am i
    right in thinking so?

    Comments on the above are invited.

    Thanx,
    Mayank

    Mayank Kaushik, Feb 7, 2005

  2. Im a senior undergrad working on a project to develop an
    The devil is in the details.

    Thinks that could be nice to look into is:
    1) Linux 2.6 support is there but does not have as many drivers as the 2.4
    2) USB Device support (especially in U-Boot)
    It would be cool, if you could have S/W in U.-Boot that made the part
    emulate a USB disk
    3) Support for external ADCs
    4) Codec support for Audio handling
    5) Get QT-Embedded to run easily (www.trolltech.com).

    --
    Best Regards,
    Ulf Samuelsson

    Ulf Samuelsson, Feb 7, 2005

  3. Mayank Kaushik

    Jedi Guest

    So there is no u-boot for the at91rm9200 board yet from Atmel?

    Hmm...if you sponsor a board I can make it within 1/2 days (o;

    rick

    Jedi, Feb 7, 2005
  4. Thinks that could be nice to look into is:
    We have U-Boot, but no U-Boot with a USB Client that supports a USB Mass
    Storage Device.

    Where are you located? Finland?

    --
    Best Regards,
    Ulf Samuelsson

    Ulf Samuelsson, Feb 7, 2005
  5. Mayank Kaushik

    Jedi Guest

    Exactly (o;

    rick

    Jedi, Feb 8, 2005
  6. Mayank Kaushik

    Jedi Guest

    Don't find the price for te DK in EBV's online inventory...only chips
    for around 20 Euros which are not in stock anyway...

    But I think there are already too many AT92RM9200 boards around (o;
    No need to develop new one (o;

    rick

    Jedi, Feb 8, 2005
  7. Mayank Kaushik

    Jedi Guest

    Okay...ONLY 1700 Euros!

    rick

    Jedi, Feb 8, 2005
  8. Mr Samuelsson,

    Could you please ask the guys in ur company why atmel has virtually no
    presense in India? Getting high end parts like the ARM7 or ARM9
    varieties is a pain, often the shipping costs are greater than that of
    the part itself !

    Regards

    Mayank

    Mayank Kaushik, Feb 8, 2005
  9. I will forward your comment to the appropriate persons.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Ulf Samuelsson

    Ulf Samuelsson, Feb 8, 2005

  10. There are three distributors in Finland: EBV, Arrow and Acte.
    I think you may find stock at the other two.
    EBV is quite new as an Atmel Fínland distributor, and this affects
    what they have in stock. It has been in production for almost 2 years.

    The AT91RM9200DK is now obsolete, so you are not likely
    to get hold of one unless you are very lucky.
    The pricing of 1700 Euros is out of line so you should shop around.

    The AT91RM9200EK which replaces the DK will be about 10% cheaper.

    You can get even cheaper boards like the www.cogcomp.com CSB337.
    www.at91.com has other links to boards.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Ulf Samuelsson

    Ulf Samuelsson, Feb 8, 2005
  11. Mayank Kaushik

    Jedi Guest

    I prefer EBV ... the others are just....let's spare the comments here (o;

    If you want good support then it comes down to Eurodis and Finland (o;

    Still way off...sorry...
    Gonna have a look there and see if an own development would make sense
    to replace older SA1100 designs...let's see what EBV answers regarding
    Atmel sampling policy (o;

    So far it seems you're the only active guy at Atmel (o;

    Keep on the good work...although sometimes it might sound
    too commercial (o;

    rick

    Jedi, Feb 9, 2005
  12. Mayank Kaushik

    Jedi Guest

    Should mean Eurodis and EBV finland (o;

    EBV is supporting my project and supplies AT91RM9200 QFP samples...
    so probably PCB design will be finished by next week:

    - 100 * 160mm2
    - AT91RM9200-QI-002
    - 64MB SDRAM
    - 8MB flash
    - CF slot
    - USB A/B
    - Ethernet
    - RS232/JTAG

    Nothing fancy though (o;

    rick

    Jedi, Feb 11, 2005
  13. Nice, did you get any dataflash from them?
    Soon there will be 128 Mbit dataflashes avaialble in SO-8 pinout.
    Some issues:

    The AT91RM9200DK CF interface has a bug.
    There is an FAQ on the subject on the atmel Website.

    If you uses buffers on the board, then again, you need to beware of a
    another bug in the DK.
    SDRAMCS (inverted) cannot be used as the buffer enable, since the chipselect
    becomes active during refresh.

    You have to reset the JTAG and the CPU reswet, otherwise it will fail.
    It is not good enouigh to pullup the JTAG reset,.

    If you do want to use the dataflash, then you need to consider how to do
    failsafe operation if the programming of the flash fails.
    This can be as easy as a jumper on the dataflash chipselect
    or an OR gate qualifying the chipselect.
    The other input is pulled low by a resistor, but can be pulled high by a
    jumper to disable the access
    forcing the AT91 to download from UART/USB.

    If you want to use the USB, yuou may have to use the 18,432 signal the DK is
    using.

    I can have a look at the schematic, if you are interested.
    In that case, mail me directly.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Ulf Samuelsson

    Ulf Samuelsson, Feb 11, 2005
  14. Mayank Kaushik

    Jedi Guest

    Received some 1 and 4MBit SPI flash devices for the FPGA stuff...
    no use for SPI flash for AT91RM9200 board.
    Can they be tied together?
    Actually I want it to boot from external parallel flash by default
    and use boundary scan for flashing...
    Odd frequency for USB operation...

    Don't see the PA31/BMS signal pulled low in the DK schematic for booting
    from external 16-bit flash memory...

    Also wondering why all schematics are using only 2-bit MII interface
    instead of 4-bit as everybody else...
    Will do so (o;
    Thanx for the offer..

    rick

    Jedi, Feb 11, 2005
  15. Nice, did you get any dataflash from them?
    That is an unusual wish :)
    Most people want to program from a PC without a JTAG emulator/tester.
    This is possible with the dataflash and jumperless operation.
    This also allows easy field upgrade...
    Yes but the PLL fixes the internal frequency.
    I can send you the schematics for the AT91RM9200EK if you provide me your
    email address.
    The 2 bit interfaxce is a Reduced MII running at 50 Mhz, and uses less pins
    than the 4 pin MII.

    Ulf Samuelsson, Feb 11, 2005
  16. Mayank Kaushik

    Jedi Guest

    I always prefer this JTAG flashing method since I have already
    ported it to several CPU/FPGA architectures and it runs under
    Cygwin and Linux and is free...
    Found it (o;
    Hmm..are those BAT54 diodes really reliably generating logical "0"?

    So far I've never seen any PHY supporting this 2bit mode besides the
    one in the DK schematic. Gonna use the LXT972A or DP83846A.

    Hmm...since it supports CF slot and also IDE interface...
    theoratically normal PCCards should also work
    like LAN/WLAN cards I assume since they do not
    require full address range...but gonna stick to CF first.

    Jedi, Feb 11, 2005