ATA-133 drive in an ATA-100 system? help wanted

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Chris, Jan 13, 2006.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm a mac webmaster and I've just put a Maxtor 200GB ATA-133 drive in
    my Mirrored Drive Doors G4 Tower, which has a 66 and 100 chain. I
    figured things are backward compatible. I might have gotten a little
    ahead of myself, and this is my first 100+ GB drive... the 'more than
    137GB problem' is something I just found out about.

    The documentation states that I require an ATA-133 PCI card in order
    for the new drive to work correctly.

    However, I stuck the drive in, on the same chain as my existing ATA
    drive, fired up the mac, formatted the new drive, installed 10.4, and
    I've got 186GB of space leftover. Seems to work ok.

    Is the drive going to continue to work correctly? Does the 137GB
    problem apply to windtunnel macs?

    Chris

    Chris, Jan 13, 2006

  2. Chris

    John Albert Guest

    Chris wrote:
    << However, I stuck the drive in, on the same chain as my existing ATA drive,
    fired up the mac, formatted the new drive, installed 10.4, and I've got 186GB
    of space leftover. Seems to work ok.
    Is the drive going to continue to work correctly? Does the 137GB problem
    apply to windtunnel macs? >>

    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

    If I'm not mistaken (others will correct me if I am), the later MDD g4's can
    support drives that are larger than the previous "137gig limit" for g4s. I'm
    not sure, however, just how much capacity they _can_ support. But - obviously
    - they can support a 200gig drive.

    - John

    John Albert, Jan 13, 2006

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Thanks John. Peace of mind anyway. The docu suggested that for
    Mirrored Drive door macs, that I hook up directly to the exisiting
    chain, vs. the ribbon that came with the drive, so I was optimistic.
    Drive is mounted fine and near the whole cap. is useable space.

    Chris

    Chris, Jan 14, 2006