    (now RMAed)

    Any help would be appreicated.

    Tim

    Tim K, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Tim K

    Greg B Guest

    In a word, 'overhead.' These 'toy' RAID arrays do so much in the
    driver that they have to overcome a great deal of overhead wasted
    motion in order to show any real performance gain. In reality,
    they're more there so users will buy boards than they are to
    give any actual performance increase. Indeed, if you see just
    about the same performance (as opposed to less when RAIDed) you
    actually are seeing a difference...just enough increase to cancel
    out the overhead of the driver!

    Some of it also depends on the profile of the data being read
    and how the system is being used. If the file is smaller than
    the stripe size you don't gain much, except perhaps on a system
    where multiple processes are waiting on different data that
    just happens to be under on different devices.

    Lastly, you're likely to see more gain from RAID on brain-dead
    filesystems (like FAT) than you will on something more sophisticated
    (like NTFS). We XP desktop users really benefit from the fact that
    Microsoft OS engineers are very serious about making NTFS work
    right (read fast) for the enterprise market.

    If you pay $100-$500 for a fancy IDE RAID controller, you'll
    probably see something more substantial than you will on the
    $15.00 worth of hardware on any motherboard.

    Greg

    Greg B, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Tim K

    Tim K Guest

    After working through three different SATA drives all with the same
    results, I finally RMAed the MB for a refund. This SOYO K8USA
    motherboard definately has some problems with the SATA on-board
    controller. Too bad. The board has plenty of features and nice extras.
    But until SOYO gets this working right with their drivers, I can't
    recommend this board.

    Tim K, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Tim K

    Greg B Guest

    You'd be well-advised to expand your wrath to include
    any other board with this ALI RAID chipset, then. Both
    the silicon, the firmware, and the drivers are ALI's
    problem, and any issues you find with with the SOYO
    board are apt to show up on other boards as well.

    If you really want SATA RAID, why not find a
    motherboard you like (regardless of the presence
    or absence of SATA RAID) and purchase a decent
    SATA RAID controller for the PCI slots.

    As I've said before, I've yet to see any truly
    satisfactory on-board RAID (SCSI, IDE or otherwise)
    implementations.

    Greg

    Greg B, Jan 8, 2004