    can advise. I use the converter because my 2 ATA ports are used up
    and I need the SATA port to connect the DVD-writer.

    BigVoice

    BigVoice, Nov 14, 2005

  2. BigVoice

    Udo Kammer Guest

    A German computer magazine c't has tested these converters last year.
    The result was, that it was no problem to connect PATA-HD-drives to a
    SATA-controller, using a converter. It was nearly impossible to do the
    same with DVD-writers. Only one writer worked, but only with a max.
    speed of 2x instead of 16x.

    I am using a Plextor PX-712SA with SATA-interface.

    Udo

    Udo Kammer, Nov 15, 2005

  3. BigVoice

    BigVoice Guest

    Thanks for the information.
    I use the PATA to SATA adaptor to connect my PATA hard disk and
    everything works OK. It seems that the adaptor does not work properly
    with DVD writers. May be you are right.

    BigVoice

    BigVoice, Nov 15, 2005
  4. BigVoice

    FlyBoy Guest

    I don't know what you have connected to your PATA controllesr but I
    assume there are some Hard Disks there. Why not use the SATA2PATA
    adapter on one of these HD's and connect the DVD-writer to the PATA
    controller?

    Seems a reasonable option.

    FlyBoy, Nov 16, 2005
  5. BigVoice

    BigVoice Guest

    Yes I have done that and it is now woking fine. Thanks for all the
    advice.

    BigVoice

    BigVoice, Nov 18, 2005
  6. BigVoice

    Guest Guest

    I don't think SATA converters are compatible with DVD writers. In anycase,
    you don't gain much putting a CD drive on SATA.

    Guest, Nov 19, 2005
  7. Dnia 2005-11-14 23:37, Użytkownik BigVoice napisał/a:
    What kind of converter do you use ? Converters from Abit (Serrilel or
    something like this) can be used to connect HDD to any SATA controller,
    but if used with optical drivers then work only with Sillicon Image SATA
    controllers.
    I use SATA2PATA converter made by Gigabyte (provided with some kind of
    P4 motherboards) with SATA controller integrated with nForce 3 (Gigabyte
    GA-K8NS-939) both with HDD and optical drive (DVD-ROM and DVD-RW) and
    everything works fine, I hadn't any symptoms that you described.

    --
    Roman SÄ…siada
    katoda(znaczek)poczta.onet.pl

    =?UTF-8?B?Um9tYW4gU8SFc2lhZGE=?=, Nov 22, 2005
  8. BigVoice

    BigVoice Guest

    The SATA2PATA Converter is using Silicon Image Chip.

    BigVoice

    BigVoice, Nov 22, 2005
  9. Dnia 2005-11-22 22:30, Użytkownik BigVoice napisał/a:
    It looks lite this converter
    http://photos.allegro.pl/photos/oryginal/73/7304/730491/73049183

    or like this coonverter http://www.excaliberpc.com/images/554134_h/huge.jpg

    ??

    First one is Gigabyte, second is Abit - when used with optical drives
    works only with Sillicon Image SATA controllers.

    =?UTF-8?B?Um9tYW4gU8SFc2lhZGE=?=, Nov 23, 2005
  10. BigVoice

    Leumhs

    Joined:
    May 15, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    What is the best way to 'clone' a SATA HD from an IDE HD?

    I am planning to replace my (IDE) 300GB HD with an SATA 1TB drive [as the C: drive].
    My PC is using the (40 pins) IDE HD controller.
    I am planning to add a SATA (HD) to IDE (controller) adapter/inteface that will allow me to use the new HD in my 'old' PC.
    In the process, I want to clone (e.g. transfer the entire content, OS and the rest of it) from the parallel HD to the new serial drive. In addition, I am considering keeping he 'old' (parallel) drive in place as yet another storage device (more is better...).
    Will the mother board IDE controller 'allow' a mix of drive types (e.g. one IDE and one [converted] SATA HDs)?

    Any advice on the correct process to follow to minimize the 'agony' of 'open heart' surgery here?

    Leumhs, May 15, 2010
  11. BigVoice

    Leumhs

    Joined:
    May 15, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    SATA to IDE: Please see my qustions posted already!!!

    I am planning to replace my (IDE) 300GB HD with an SATA 1TB drive [as the C: drive].
    My PC is using the (40 pins) IDE HD controller.
    I am planning to add a SATA (HD) to IDE (controller) adapter/inteface that will allow me to use the new HD in my 'old' PC.
    In the process, I want to clone (e.g. transfer the entire content, OS and the rest of it) from the parallel HD to the new serial drive. In addition, I am considering keeping he 'old' (parallel) drive in place as yet another storage device
    (more is better...).
    Will the mother board IDE controller 'allow' a mix of drive types (e.g. one IDE and one [converted] SATA HDs)?

    Any advice on the correct process to follow to minimize the 'agony' of 'open heart' surgery here?

    I'd like to hear drom anyone who can guide me on this... Is anyone checking this forum?...

    Leumhs, May 17, 2010