    What do I need to do to get the board to recognize the CPU and get the
    system bus speed up to 133MHz?

    JB

    J Baker, Dec 14, 2003

  2. J Baker

    wayne Guest

    the board will only work at 100 MHz I don't recall if you can get a 13x
    multiplier I would have to look at the manual!

    Wayne

    wayne, Dec 14, 2003

  3. J Baker

    J Baker Guest

    Thanks Wayne, but I have already been over the manual front to back.
    page 7, CPU Speed Setup: "The system bus speed is selectable at 100~133MHz."
    I guess they lied, which is regrettable, but if there is something I'm
    missing I'd like to find out.

    What about the board "seeing" the 1.33GHz CPU? It only registers 1.0GHz.

    JB

    J Baker, Dec 14, 2003
  4. J Baker

    wayne Guest

    I guess it is a matter of wording page 14 shows

    The FSB Speed of the VIA KT133 is 100MHz

    So while it is selectable only 100MHZ works!

    It also says for a rev 1 board that 1 ghz is all it supports on page 10? The
    FB bios is supposed to support faster but I get the feeling that a Rev 1
    board still does not support it. My MOBO is a rev 1 and I have a 1ghz
    processor so I can't check this for sure.

    I did have pretty good luck emailing gigabyte from their web site and I
    would suggest that for a "real" answer. I upgraded to a P4 2.4 GHZ MOBO from
    my old ZXR.

    I learned never to buy a rev 1.X board as they tend to get short changed on
    features and expandability. When I purchased mine the rev 2.0 board was out
    and I didn't even think I would be sent an old board but I guess I learned
    my lesson and I now ask via Email which version the product I am buying is,
    since many vendors are selling obsolete stuff to people who don't know it!

    May sound dumb but the BIOS does show the version you think you have right?

    Go to http://www.belarc.com download the free version to see what it says
    about your system.

    Best answer is to contact gigabyte

    Wayne

    wayne, Dec 14, 2003
  5. J Baker

    J Baker Guest

    Much appreciated Wayne!!

    I'll heed the advice when I get to the point of upgrading the mainboard.
    Even with the lock in on the bus speed, I've got better performance now than
    I had with my 800MHz Athlon. The system seems stable so I'll leave the new
    CPU in place. Annoying never-the-less, but live and learn :)

    I've put a support request into Gigabyte as well. I'll be interested to hear
    what they have to say.

    Thanks again!!

    JB

    J Baker, Dec 14, 2003
  6. J Baker

    wayne Guest

    What kind of memory are you using just curious?
    Wayne

    wayne, Dec 14, 2003
  7. J Baker

    J Baker Guest

    I've got two sticks of 512 and one 128MB 133Mhz SDRAM. Got the RAM cheap
    last Christmas :) My original CPU was an 800MHz 100fsb Athlon - I was
    hoping get the full potential of the RAM speed with the new CPU... but it
    was not to be.

    JB

    J Baker, Dec 19, 2003
  8. J Baker

    Gav Guest

    I had a 1.33 on my 7ZXR rev1, and the board doesn't support 133MHz FSB
    - that's Via and thier crazy marketing for you. I ran mine at 1GHz,
    and for a while at 1.1 by some measn (can't remember now, and I sold
    the 1.33)

    Gav

    Gav, Dec 19, 2003