    Use Win$ XP
    What to do?

    Thanks GJ Eldering

    GJ Eldering, Oct 24, 2003

  2. GJ Eldering

    Lost Guest

    My athlon 1400 MHz temp is very high 60 - 70 Celsius
    The Athlon Thunderbird 1400MHz is a very hot chip. Those temperatures
    sound a bit high though.

    Was any thermal grease applied to the heatsink? A thermal pad attached?
    Is the fan working properly? Is your case/room temperature too high?

    Lost, Oct 24, 2003

  3. GJ Eldering

    DCstewieG Guest

    Mine (also 266 FSB but that shouldn't matter) sometimes hits 60 after being
    at 100% utilization, but only rarely does it go over that. Idle its a little
    over 50. This is after turning down the vcore though. It seems to be getting
    a little hotter as it gets older... I don't know that motherboard, but if
    you can change the vcore, I'd recommend turning that down one step, running
    for a day or so, then repeating. When it freezes (and it will sometime) turn
    it back up one.

    Is your temp @ idle or 100%?

    DCstewieG, Oct 24, 2003
  4. GJ Eldering

    J.Clarke Guest

    60 is quite reasonable if you're not overclocking. If it's stable at 70
    don't worry about it, the chip is good for 90 IIRC (might be 95), most
    builders like to keep the temperature below 60 to allow for errors in
    measurement and give some headroom, but if the machine is stable at 70
    indicated then it's almost certainly running below 90 actual.

    If you're overclocking it's another story--you want the chip as cool as
    possible as the cooler it runs the more headroom you have on clock
    speed.

    J.Clarke, Oct 25, 2003
  5. GJ Eldering

    GJ Eldering Guest

    Thanks all....

    GJ Eldering, Oct 25, 2003
  6. GJ Eldering

    GJ Eldering Guest

    I am not overclocking, but when using the win mediaplayer the proc. works
    100%, and then the temp goes to 70 C
    Normal it's 62 C

    Thanks Gerrit Jan

    GJ Eldering, Oct 25, 2003
  7. GJ Eldering

    Ben Pope Guest

    Thats pretty high... especially as Media Player is unlikely taxing it any
    where near as much as a game might, or Prim95, or video encoding etc.

    I don't think there's a temperature diode in these, right? If you're
    reading socket temp, then you're almost certainly pushing your luck as CPU
    can easily be +10°C in steady state.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 25, 2003
  8. GJ Eldering

    Wes Newell Guest

    Whats' the room temp? Should be under 26C (80F).

    What's the case temp? It should be under 10C of room temp. Preferably
    under 6C. If it's more than this, add fans or something. Remove side cover
    as a temporary measure, and the cpu temps should drop.

    If your case temps are 30C or under, then you have a cpu cooler problem.
    Either not mounted right or you need a better cooler. Which brings the
    question of what cpu cooler you have?

    Wes Newell, Oct 25, 2003
  9. GJ Eldering

    GJ Eldering Guest

    Thanks for all the answers....
    I look in to it and buy a new cooler, it's working fine.
    I update my processor as well....????

    GJ

    GJ Eldering, Oct 25, 2003
  10. GJ Eldering

    Buffalo Guest

    Some people start getting errors when their Athlons start approaching 70C.
    What program are you using to monitor those temps? Perhaps try another one
    to see if the temp reading is correct.
    Or, when you think it is at it hottest, shut down and go into the BIOS and
    see what the temps say in there.
    If it has just started getting that hot, then I would clean the dust,etc out
    of the cpu heatsink and make sure the cpu fan is clean and turning at high
    speed.Also check the vent holes in your case, etc.
    If you feel comfortable doing it, remove the cpu heatsink, clean it and its
    contact surface on the cpu with alcohol or similar, use a tiny amt of
    heatsink compound (RadioShack stuff is cheap and just fine) and reinstall.
    What is your motherboard temp?

    Buffalo, Oct 25, 2003
  11. GJ Eldering

    GJ Eldering Guest

    I did dad all !
    Thanks for your answer
    GJ

    GJ Eldering, Oct 26, 2003
  12. GJ Eldering

    Hank Guest

    I bought one about 3 years ago and it ran with the same temps. Passed it
    down to one of the kids a couple of years ago and stopped worrying about it.
    It's still purring a long today at 62 - 68. Don't worry be happy!

    Hank

    Hank, Oct 26, 2003
  13. GJ Eldering

    GJ Eldering Guest

    I am happy :)

    Thanks GJ

    GJ Eldering, Oct 26, 2003
  14. GJ Eldering

    B Guest

    Actually, the the most simple way to toubleshoot this is to take the left
    case cover off (the cover nearest to the CPU heat sink fan) and monitor the
    temperature with the cover off. If the temperatures go down excessively then
    you have an internal air circulation problem. If the temperatures stay where
    they are I would try and reseat the fan and heatsink and ensure there is
    sufficient heat sink compound applied.

    regards

    B, Oct 26, 2003