Athlon 2500XP Barton - Is this considered to be "overclocking" ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Arif, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Arif

    Arif Guest

    Hi folks,

    Motherboard is Asus A7N8X deluxe PCB Ver 2.0 which supports a 400 FSB
    CPU is Athlon Barton 2500XP ("Real" Internal Clock Speed is 1.83Ghz)
    This CPU officialy supports a 333 FSB
    Memory is Crucial PC3200 (CAS=3)

    I understand the "Official" motherboard settings I should be using
    are:
    CPU exteral frequency = 166 (This equates to a 333FSB since the Barton
    is 'dual pumped')
    CPU Multiplier = 11 (166*11=1833 the CPUs official internal clock
    speed)
    Memory Frequency = 166
    Memory is in sync with FSB

    However here I am really running the memory at PC2700 speed and not
    really taking advantage of the faster potential speed (PC3200). Also I
    am not using the FSB 400 supported by the motherboard.

    So what if I set:
    CPU exteral frequency = 200 (This equates to a 400FSB )
    CPU Multiplier = 9 (200*9=1800 i.e. slightly less than 1833 the CPUs
    official internal clock speed)
    Memory Frequency = 200
    Again memory is in sync with FSB

    So in this scenario i.e increasing just the CPU's external frequency
    but not the internal frequency considered to be 'overclocking' ?

    Is this scenario:
    a. Likely to be less stable (than the previous 'official' scenario of
    333 FSB)?
    b. "Stress" and thereby reduce the "life" of the CPU ?
    c. Invalidate the warranty ?

    Also, what are the suggested 'reasonable' overclocking settings
    advisable for the Barton 2500 ? (i.e. running the internal CPU clock
    at higher than the official 1833)

    Any advice or experience appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Arif

    Arif, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Arif

    Rockman Guest

    w0rd to that....why run it at 1.83ghz?

    up that multipier.....hit 2.2 with 400fsb and mem and be happy :)

    Rockman, Jun 26, 2003

  3. Arif

    jvc23 Guest

    I agree, you can definitely run it at 400Mhz FSB. If you do leave the
    muliplier alone, make sure you have ample cooling for your CPU.

    JVC

    jvc23, Jun 26, 2003
  4. Arif

    atomic Guest

    does anyone know where to find out how to change your multiplier setting to
    get higher than 11x on a Barton 2500+?
    Thanks,

    I'm still running at 1.83 mhz.

    atomic, Jun 28, 2003
  5. Arif

    Ed Guest

    You can't change it the BIOS?

    Ed, Jun 28, 2003
  6. Arif

    Wes Newell Guest

    Read your MB manual. If your board supports it, it will either be done
    with jumpers/dip switches on the board, or in the bios, or maybe both. If
    it doesn't support multiplier changes, then you can either mod the bridges
    on the cpu or use some other method of changing it. The ways are many.
    Maybe this one.

    http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

    More info here.

    http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/TbredDecode0.htm#Table

    And read the link below.

    Wes Newell, Jun 28, 2003
  7. Arif

    Nom Guest

    Flash the latest BIOS to your Motherboard, and then just change the
    mulitplier in the BIOS.

    Nom, Jul 1, 2003