    FSB of 333MHz. How ought I best set-up my system to make the most of this?

    Many thanks,

    Aaron

    ajd, Jun 4, 2005

  2. ajd

    Wes Newell Guest

    Makes you wonder about the bios writer when things like this go into it
    doesn't it? But don't worry about. It just cosmetics, and it is an
    unknown cpu since it's not running at a speed desginated to a known model.
    The 2800+ has a default FSB of 166MHz, not 333Mhz, but your board won't go
    that high. If it has bios/jumper control of the FSB speed, you might get
    it up about 145 if you're lucky. If you're in for some work, you could mod
    the cpu into a mobile and that would unlock the multipliers,etc. Info here.

    http://fab51.com/index-e.html

    Wes Newell, Jun 4, 2005

  3. ajd

    dawg Guest

    You got problems. Your motherboard doesn't support your CPU. First,the FSB
    won't go high enough to run your CPU at it's default speed.Your CPU should
    be running at 166(333) FSB.You're motherboards max FSB is 133(266). Second,
    it doesn't run the correct voltage for your CPU. It's running CPU voltage
    too high. That can cause overheating and lock ups.
    You can find a cheap motherboard for that cpu in the $50-60 range or more
    depending what you use your PC for. www.pricewach.com

    dawg, Jun 4, 2005
  4. ajd

    Cuzman Guest

    ajd wrote:

    " How ought I best set-up my system to make the most of this? "

    The multiplier on your 2800+ is too low to get anywhere near full
    performance on a motherboard that only supports CPUs with a 100MHz /
    133MHz external bus speed.

    I'd advise you to do one of two things:

    1. Buy a Socket A motherboard that supports CPUs with a 166MHz external
    bus speed.

    2. Get an Athlon XP 2400+ from eBay, and then sell the 2800+ there.

    Cuzman, Jun 5, 2005
  5. ajd

    ajd Guest

    Thanks to everyone for their help - I'll be out purchasing a new Motherboard
    on Tuesday with the full support. I will just have to survive until then.

    Many thanks

    ajd, Jun 5, 2005