    2) The MSI 6378 supports 100MHz and 133Mhz CPU and the Athlon 2800+ has an
    FSB of 333MHz. How ought I best set-up my system to make the most of this?

    Many thanks,

    ajd, Jun 4, 2005

  2. Your motherboard supports 100mhz and 133 mhz cpu's however the 2800xp runs
    at 333. I would say that you cant use that cpu in your mobo...... hence the
    error message.
    That's an awful lot to clock that cpu down..... neither probably knows what
    to do with the other..... My suggestion, sacrifice and trade your 2800 for a
    266mhz chip <I'm sure someone would gladly swap you for it> or, get a
    different mobo that supports 333 mhz fsb. You can get econo boards like
    ECS's L7S7A2 for like $25-$50 That would give you your 333 fsb for your
    chip.
    Good luck. Let me know how you make out.
    PS, I happen to have either/both...... I have 266 mobo's and, I have 266
    cpu's if you wanna swap or anything....

    {SFU}Jackyl
    MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR
    Athlon XP2500 OC'D
    ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128
    1gb Geil PC3200 DDR400

    John Edmister, Jun 4, 2005

  3. ajd

    Nom Guest

    Nope. If your system is stable, then all is well. The BIOS description is
    purely for your information.
    The Athlon 2800+ actually has an FSB of 166MHz (it's 166MHz x 2 (DDR) which
    gives the 333MHz figure).
    Athlon 2800+ uses an FSB of 166MHz and a multiplier of 12.5 to give a speed
    of
    166 x 12.5 = 2083MHz.

    You're stuck at 133MHz with your board, so you need a multiplier of about
    15.5 (133 x 15.5 = 2061MHz) to run your CPU at it's maximum speed. If the
    board will let you change the multiplier, then do so. If not, you're stuck
    at whatever speed it chooses (probably 133 x 12.5 = 1662MHz). Be sure to set
    all the CPU/FSB/RAM speeds to 133MHz in the BIOS and with any jumpers -
    you're slowing it down even more if you run at 100MHz (100 x 12.5 =
    1250MHz).

    Nom, Jun 6, 2005
  4. ajd

    ajd Guest

    Great reply - really useful - explains everything in the mail and I don't
    have to go looking elsewhere - moreover you haven't presumed I know
    everything so you've given me some basic explanations too. Really
    appreciated! More responses like this please.

    Aaron

    ajd, Jun 7, 2005
  5. ajd

    Nom Guest

    I aim to please :)

    Stop top-posting - your replies should be going on the bottom of the
    message, like this.

    Nom, Jun 7, 2005