    i have an athlon 2800xp on a jetwayv400ADBL. sysytem info shows it as an
    2800xp running at 2087mhz. is this running speed correct? cheers for any
    advice/help

    7legend, Dec 30, 2003

  2. 7legend

    Arthur Buse Guest

    That sounds about right. My BIOS wants to run my 2800xp at
    166 * 12.5 = 2079 MHz. Shame my power supply can't oblige...

    Arthur Buse, Jan 3, 2004

  3. The Athlon XP 2800+ is supposed to be clocked at 2.08GHz (AKA 166 x
    12.5). If you don't know why it's not 2.8GHz as you may have thought it
    would be, here is why.

    AMD names their XP line of processors according to how they pair up
    against the Pentium 4 line. For instance, a Pentium 4 2.4GHz processor
    would have the AMD equivalent of Athlon XP 2400+ (clocked at an actual
    2GHz ie 133 x 15 I think it is), and the Pentium 4 3.0GHz would be
    paired with an Athlon XP 3000+ (2.47GHz using 190 x 13). Hope that helps.

    --
    Athlon XP 2500+ OC to 2800+
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

    Peter Garbarino, Jan 11, 2004
  4. 7legend

    J. Clarke Guest

    The naming is actually based on how they perform when compared to their
    Thunderbird processors--they went to the new rating system because their
    newer processors were giving equivalent performance at lower clock
    speeds and they wanted the names to reflect this--otherwise people would
    buy Tbird 1400s vs 1300s in the newer series that were actually faster.

    It worked out that for a while this rating was roughly comparable to the
    clock speed of a P4 with comparable performance and eventually I believe
    AMD marketing started suggesting that it was related to the P4
    performance, but I don't know if that is how the rating is derived.

    J. Clarke, Jan 11, 2004