    aether Guest

    The AN8 is, of course, also a Socket 939 based motherboard. Does anyone
    know the full extent of the AN8's upgrade capabilities?

    aether, Jul 1, 2005

  2. aether

    Tony Hill Guest

    Tony Hill, Jul 1, 2005

  3. aether

    Del Cecchi Guest

    Del Cecchi, Jul 1, 2005
  4. aether

    aether Guest

    Appreciate it, Tony. I'm fairly certain that a month ago the
    specifications page didn't mention X2 dual-core. I didn't bother to
    check it again, instead choosing to get an answer from 'live' people.

    Cecchi - You're mindless garbage.

    aether, Jul 1, 2005
  5. aether

    John Lewis Guest

    AN8 BIOS Version 1.5 supports dual-core (released 20-June-2005)

    With regard to the general issue of Socket-939 BIOS updates for X2,
    please note the following:-

    No mention of X2 in the BIOS update docs, then beware. Especially
    if you are contemplating a new purchase. Also, even if the BIOS is
    updated, remember it takes quite a while for the retail channel to be
    purged !!! Check with the supplier as to the BIOS version shipped
    in the board, if they know....( and their return-policy !!! )

    An X2 might just not work at all in a board which has not had its
    BIOS updated ( the BIOS docs are silent on this subject ).
    And if the board does not work at all, obviously you will not be
    able to read the BIOS version, to find out whether the BIOS
    might be the problem, or something else in a new installation is
    screwed up. Hence, a perfect Catch 22 - you may need to install
    a non-X2 just to check motherboard functionality and update the
    BIOS :-(. No problem for a small system-builder. A big problem
    for the do-it-yourself guy building a first-time Socket-939 X2 system.

    And of course, if you are upgrading an existing Socket-939
    board to X2, remember to update the BIOS to add X2-compatibility
    BEFORE removing the old processor..................

    John Lewis

    - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

    John Lewis, Jul 1, 2005
  6. aether

    aether Guest

    Another reason I posted this thread. The BIOS for the dual-core is
    probably quite different from the regular 939 processor. I wonder,
    though, would the dual-core BIOS be completely different or have some
    compatibility with the regular 939 processor which would allow me to
    merely upgrade the BIOS first, then install the processor?
    Much appreciated, John.

    By the way, here's some information on dual-core benchmarks:

    "Benchmarks revealed significant performance gains for multithreaded
    benchmarks, with Cinebench showing an 87% performance gain going from
    one core to two. Interestingly enough, the dual-core Athlon 64
    outperforms a true dual-CPU Opteron 250 2.4GHz setup, coming in second
    only to a dual 3.6GHz Xeon setup with Hyper-Threading turned on (four
    logical CPUs)."
    http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2005Mar/gee20050314029588.htm

    aether, Jul 1, 2005
  7. Why would you think this? From a software perspective,
    there is almost no difference between dual core and SMP.

    SMP BIOSes have been around forever, and aren't particularly
    complex. One CPU is hardwired as the BSP (Boot Service
    Processor) and runs all BIOS functions and uniproc OSes like
    MS-DOC and MS-Windows9*.

    It also loads SMP OSes which _then_ activate the other
    processors via various IPIs.
    Sounds like a fetch stalled app, governed by memory
    latency.
    Yep. For sure. Dual core has only one memory
    controller, so will be faster than bus arbitration.
    That can have four outstanding fetches at once. Yawn.

    -- Robert

    Robert Redelmeier, Jul 1, 2005
  8. aether

    Wes Newell Guest

    If your current bios supports the core of the X2 CPU you buy, but doen't
    support dual core, it should boot only using one core. Then you can
    upgrade the bios to get dual core support. OTOH, if your current bios
    doesn't support a non dual cpu of the same core, you're screwed until you
    upgrade the bios by some other means.

    Wes Newell, Jul 1, 2005
  9. aether

    John Lewis Guest

    Of course.... all the upgrades do !! Cannot have a board shipping with
    the latest BIOS not work for >95% of current purchasers - those who do

    not choose to buy a X2, at least initially.

    John Lewis, Jul 2, 2005
  10. aether

    John Lewis Guest

    Likely, but no guarantee at all !!! If not confirmed in the BIOS docs,
    you always have to assume that Murphy's Law applies.
    If the BIOS has been upgraded to support X2, then it will always work
    with a non-X2 A64. Otherwise, 2 different versions of a MB would have
    to be shipped, the only difference being the BIOS - a non-starter.
    Backward compatibility is guaranteed.

    John Lewis, Jul 2, 2005
  11. aether

    Tony Hill Guest

    Hmm.. I didn't even notice it was the same moron. I just stopped
    reading that thread as soon as he started pointing to Nazi Germany as
    some sort of example of a "good" society. Clearly anyone who believes
    such nonsense is well beyond the point of having a meaningful
    conversation with.

    Tony Hill, Jul 4, 2005
  12. aether

    Gnu_Raiz Guest

    Kinda of like calling Guantanamo a gulag! When this dude is running around
    as president elect of Iran oh, the irony.

    http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/new...1720Z_01_SPI555308_RTRUKOC_0_AUSTRIA-IRAN.xml

    Its funny how much the media distorts things just to suite their agenda.

    Gnu_Raiz

    Gnu_Raiz, Jul 5, 2005
  13. aether

    aether Guest

    Small-minded buffoons. In a way, it's somewhat delightful to see
    America, Canada, and Britain gradually vanish into international
    irrelevancy.

    aether, Jul 6, 2005
  14. aether

    wh0kn0ws Guest

    But not till after the 2012 Olympics.

    wh0kn0ws, Jul 6, 2005
  15. aether

    Lee Waun Guest

    Sort of like France did 60 years ago.

    Lee Waun, Jul 6, 2005
  16. aether

    keith Guest

    At least France won the recent Presidential hissy-fit and food-fight,
    though lost the '12 Olympics in the process. ;-)

    keith, Jul 6, 2005
  17. And they won two world wars .. oh wait, they needed help, didn't they.
    Lucky those English, Canadians, and Americans were around (Doesn't Oz
    and NZ deserve a mention?)

    Chirac is probably still all p1$$ed off that we're still celebrating
    Nelson chasing his fleet around and then defeating it. Couldn't happen
    to a nicer chap. 8>.

    GSV Three Minds in a Can, Jul 6, 2005
  18. aether

    aether Guest

    The British, perhaps. Third world squatters couldn't care less about
    Nelson -- and they are the future of Britain.

    aether, Jul 6, 2005
  19. aether

    John Lewis Guest

    Even more pi$$ed off now that London got the 2012 Olympics by 4 votes
    over Paris.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jul 7, 2005
  20. aether

    keith Guest

    Two from the Finns, that Chirac dissed even over the Britts! Amazing
    incompetence, though not at all surprising! Were there oil chits involved
    in losing this one?

    keith, Jul 7, 2005