Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (939) & Abit AN8 'Fatal1ty': Compatible?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by aether, Jul 1, 2005.

  1. One of the problems with humping is that the "mechanism" as a whole is
    horribly difficult to manage and impossible to optimize - a model railroad
    system has better "equipment". A rethink with modern planned scheduling
    and assembly of macro-trains and a non-legacy terminal system could, IMO,
    do much better. I guess currently assigned land allocation and geometry
    might be a problem.
    And yet the idea of diesel electric for road use has been considered. The
    dirt is only a choice. Diesels also do extremely well with smooth loads,
    which can be better arranged on rails.
    IMO it's also to do with lack of "traffic" and accel/deccel which can be
    planned ahead... leading to extended steady loads... also hills tend to be
    smoothed out.
    No, I did not mean in the contemporary automobile sense. A locomotive
    which is diesel electric but can turn the diesel off and pull electric
    directly, usually off an overhead.
    What can I say? We just got rid of a corrupt, charlatan governor who was
    more interested in his jaunts with his chosen (non-citizen) err, same-sex
    PA than state business. The township where he'd been mayor warned us
    against this guy but he still got elected... and a recent poll revealed
    that he'd get re-elected.Ô_Ô Did anybody ever say people are too stupid to
    be allowed to vote in a democracy?:)
    What details? This was an account by a friend who pulled in to get gas...
    on 9/12.
    They were kids fer Chrissakes... excitedly babbling over some photos they
    claimed they or someone in their family had taken, after waiting an hour or
    so for the event. I take it at face value.
    Sorry, but your suspecting and presuming is just staggering... byzantine
    even. If you prefer to ignore/dispute the fact that there *were* Qaeda
    sympathizers in this country, living "normal" lives, who had prior
    knowledge, I have to wonder what is going to waken you up. You wanna wait
    Well, not specifically but that was the message and his prophecy is
    strikingly close. He was once quoted as saying/proposing "give them all
    £2000. and send them home". I was being somewhat facetious of course but
    it does seem that "tolerance" does not appear to be working well with
    people who are themselves intolerant of err, "diversity".

    George Macdonald, Jul 27, 2005

  2. Roads very rarely need repaired due to wear from automobiles - it's 99% due
    to trucks, many of which are overladen. Take a look at the road surface of
    any Parkway where trucks are banned - the Garden State is a good example
    because there is a section in the middle where buses run and which is more
    beat-up -- and needs more frequent repairs -- than the rest but still
    nowhere as bad as the freeways. Where you only have cars it's not unusual
    for a road surface to last 20-30years without repair.

    George Macdonald, Jul 27, 2005

  3. Huh? A model railroad system has some interesting flexible
    cranes -- hands! Real cars are slightly more difficult to move.
    I'm really not sure what you're saying here. The RRs have
    been using computer scheduling since the 1950s.
    I haven't heard of any actual termina problems. Some
    places have a shortage of contrainer cranes, but that only
    to be expected given the fast increase in traffic.
    Or for hybrid automobiles. They could also use turbine
    gensets.
    There are some very odd reasons "features" of the US electoral
    system. From primaries through finals. But if "the people"
    are too stupid, who are you going to use? An elite, as at
    the founding of the US?
    You take it as you want. I take it as most likely TV.
    I think many are still there. A friends' FIL. But you
    cannot arrest people for opinions. I'm not sure you can
    even arrest somone for _not_ calling the cops after hearing
    "Go to Hoboken tomorrow by 7am. You will see a sight."
    At most, they can haul the speaker in for questioning
    and maybe get a search warrent.

    I think we have very little choice. There are some reasonable
    and inexpensive precautions we can take. The rest merely do
    the terrorists job for them [ruin society].
    So you're intolerant of those who are intolerant.
    I don't know.

    -- Robert

    Robert Redelmeier, Jul 28, 2005
  4. Sure. But if the ratio is below 1.0 then it's still a
    net benefit to the economy.
    Yes, and I meant that once you get past a certain
    point, size is irrelevant. It's $/mile and fixed or
    mobilization costs are thinly spread.
    Yes, it is. Probably thanks to the metro.
    Norway is not a member of the EU. Still could have happened.
    Why do you say nuts? Most agricultural policies are aimed at
    supporting [increasing] prices by limiting supply. This is
    just another example like the US paying farmers not to grow.

    -- Robert

    Robert Redelmeier, Jul 28, 2005
  5. This is partly true, depending on how the roadbed has been
    designed. Very significant maintenance is necessary in
    freeze country because of the freeze-thaw damage cycle.

    -- Robert

    Robert Redelmeier, Jul 28, 2005
  6. Tsk, tsk - no hands.:)
    Scheduling has come a long way, especially in the last few years, and from
    what I've heard of their computerized methods, it was not that impressive
    at the time I heard it.
    I just think they're saddled with an obsolete methodology. If you look at
    modern ports around the world, the old peripheral railroad marshalling
    yards are long gone or seriously slimmed down.
    Well the EC is not a good example of how to arrange an elite and certainly
    exposes the err, problems therein. I don't have a solution but if you
    recall... accounts of "pregnant chafe" make me wonder about voter umm,
    competence.
    Just because it *might* have, it is so... despite the proud claims. I give
    up.
    Well there was another local case among my circle of acquaintances and the
    FBI got very interested in a "don't go to New York next week" remark (in
    writing). The house was stripped when they arrived. As for the "gas
    station family" they're gone. I believe that someone who heard "go to
    Hoboken" and acted on it could certainly fall under the emergency terrorist
    rules.
    We could start by identifying those (guests) who are (brazenly) preaching
    destruction of our society -- actually civilization -- and ejecting them,
    tout de bloody suite! I understand that many are illegal aliens - quite a
    slap in the face of people who have gone to all the trouble to follow the
    USCIS rules & procedures. How ironic, that the perps in the U.K. arrived
    just within the last 10-15years as refugees... guests of a
    benefactor.<gulp> Doing nothing, or reactive procedures, is not an option.

    Personally I've always thought the Swiss model for citizenship as
    quasi-fascist but now I find myself err, re-evaluating.<shrug> I have to
    wonder how the recent London perps would feel about forced repatriation to
    err, Somalia... apparently not a very nice place!
    I'm intolerant of people whose declared intention is to subjugate us to a
    caliphate or mass-murder us if we don't submit. Having read Paul Berman's
    article beginning to end (here it is again
    http://www.wehaitians.com/the philosopher of islamic terror.html )
    I see no option but to be intolerant of this kind of fascist Islamic
    agenda. Those who want to control what I do, watch, drink, smoke, eat,
    etc. I can deal with, within the terms of our legal system as it stands.

    George Macdonald, Jul 29, 2005
  7. Benefit is fungible enough that anyone who has a mind to can get the ratio
    in the ballpark they want. Again, the Paris Metro supplies a level of
    service most others don't, a good portion of which falls into the fungible
    part of benefit. That's my impression based on user experiences.
    I think I've already suggested that I just don't see how you can apply the
    same $/mile metric to a modern system design with a few suburban spurs and
    a downtown loop, all predesigned with rubber in mind to a conversion on a
    system so complex and comprehensive as Paris, with such high station
    density - the scale of things is just too different.
    Chicken & egg again: Paris was "compact" with relatively high rise
    dwellings, many still standing and in use, and population density long
    before the Metro became as convenient as now. OTOH I'm sure it has helped
    to maintain and even increase population density over the past 20-30 years.
    Probably Sweden then but Norway is a member of EFTA and is apparently
    girding up to join the EU... again - dunno how their going to deal with the
    Access Commun which caused them to balk on the first go at the midnight
    hour.
    What? Don't you do any shopping? The price of fish/seafood does not need
    support - the perversion here is that the dumping/quotas is done in the
    name of err, conservation of stocks. That's not the only thing that's nuts
    about it -- a read of some of the details is a lesson in how a centralized
    bureaucracy can bugger up a viable system which has worked perfectly under
    local management for 100s of years -- but if we keep on with this we'll
    still be at it come Christmas.:)

    George Macdonald, Jul 29, 2005
  8. There's nothing "partly true" about the rates of deterioration of freeways
    vs. parkways, even in the frost belt from what I see.

    George Macdonald, Jul 29, 2005