    know. I'm keeping it anyway... it was FREE!

    Thanks,
    Karl North

    Karl North, Jun 11, 2004

  2. Karl North

    DougH Guest

    As far as I can tell from LOTS of research is that the Mobo can handle

    Yes an Athlon XP 2400+ will run on that speed of bus. The question that
    needs to be answered is will the bios on your Compaq recognize the Athlon
    XP? Not sure if Compaq will be much help but maybe they have some info on
    that area. They most likely will want to sell you and overpriced upgrade.
    Hope it works out.

    DougH

    DougH, Jun 14, 2004

  3. Karl North

    Ben Pope Guest

    Even if it doesn't, it should run it at the default multiplier and FSB.
    Then all you're missing is the description on boot up...

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jun 14, 2004
  4. Karl North

    DougH Guest

    If it does that's fine. My only experience with upgrading a cpu that wasn't
    specifically mentioned in the motherboard specs was back in the 486 days. I
    replaced a 486 33MHz with an AMD 5x86 Pentium compatible and the system
    wouldn't boot. I had to upgrade the bios chip itself for it to work. No
    bios flashing at that time either.

    DougH

    DougH, Jun 16, 2004