  1. Gunny Bunny

    Gunny Bunny Guest

    What is better an AMD Athlon or AMD Barton CPU ??

    Gunny Bunny, Feb 1, 2004

  2. The Bartons have a bigger cache and the 2500 overclocks nicely to at least
    200x11.

    Pete

    Peter Harrington, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Gunny Bunny

    Gunny Bunny Guest

    I have to make a choice:

    AMD Barton XP 2500+ FSB333

    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ FSB333

    which one is the better CPU ??

    Gunny Bunny, Feb 1, 2004
  4. What is better an AMD Athlon or AMD Barton CPU ??it must be AMD Barton, but make sure you get the one with Pentium core.

    Tomasz Cenian, Feb 1, 2004

  5. LOL!

    Wayne Youngman, Feb 1, 2004
  6. Gunny Bunny

    Hank Guest

    AMD Barton XP 2600+ FSB333

    Hank

    Hank, Feb 1, 2004
  7. Gunny Bunny

    Wes Newell Guest

    AMD doesn't make a Barton CPU. There is an Athlon XP cpu with a Barton
    core though. So your question doesn't make sense.

    Wes Newell, Feb 1, 2004
  8. Gunny Bunny

    Wes Newell Guest

    If you are going to overclock, then the 2600+ will be faster. If you plan
    on overclocking then one needs to know which model the 2600+ is before
    answering. All 2500+'s are Barton cores. The 2600+ was made in Barton and
    Tbred B coes. If both are bartons, it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the
    other. The only difference being the default multiplier of 11 for the
    2500+ and 11.5 for the 2600+ Barton.

    Wes Newell, Feb 1, 2004
  9. Gunny Bunny

    Geoff Guest

    the 2600 above is a tbred B core
    you want the xp2500 barton core

    Geoff, Feb 1, 2004
  10. Gunny Bunny

    BigBadger Guest

    How do you know that the 2600+ is not a Barton as well???...AMD do make the
    XP2600+ with the Barton core you know.

    BigBadger, Feb 1, 2004
  11. Gunny Bunny

    Gunny Bunny Guest

    Hello fellows,

    Sorry my question was not worded better, but I am not to familiar with
    hardware. I am upgrading my computer.

    The store that is selling the two cpus is here:

    http://www.cas-tech.ca/

    If you click on the CPU button on the left hand menu you will see the cpus
    listed. The two I am considering are:

    AMD Barton XP 2500+ FSB333

    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ FSB333

    The Athlon CPU is NOT a Barton core, however; I am aware Barton had the 512
    cache, so I am not sure what to do :) I need some advice from impartial
    third parties.

    Thank you

    Gunny Bunny, Feb 1, 2004
  12. Gunny Bunny

    Ed Guest

    AMDdroids at their finest! :)

    Ed

    Ed, Feb 1, 2004
  13. Gunny Bunny

    Doughnut Guest

    How do you come to the assumption its a 2600 T/bred core Geoff? My 2600 is
    a barton.

    doughnut

    Doughnut, Feb 1, 2004
  14. Gunny Bunny

    BigBadger Guest

    I think you need to clarify what cpu they are talking about when they say
    XP2600+...it could be a T'bred or a Barton.....Some of the cpu's they list
    as Athlon are in fact Barton core's...for instance the XP3000+ is only made
    in Barton core. (anyway they are all Athlons!)

    Which cpu is best depends on what you want to do with it.....For
    overclocking the lower speed Bartons, either XP2500 or XP2600 are good. The
    XP2600 T'bred is not such a great overclocker because it already runs at a
    high clock speed.

    All the chips are now likely to be multiplier locked so you need to take
    your maximum FSB into consideration too.
    What motherboard and memory are you using?

    BigBadger, Feb 1, 2004
  15. Gunny Bunny

    Frank Hagan Guest

    I run AMD Athlons on two machines. One with a 2500 Barton "core" and one
    with a 2600 T'bred "core". If the choice is between Barton and T'bred take
    the 2500 especially with the pricing I saw on the web site you indicated.
    In fact, at the indicated pricing, take the 2500 over the 2600 no matter
    what it is. Just my $00.02 ;-)

    FRH

    Frank Hagan, Feb 1, 2004
  16. Both cpus are Athlons, the Barton designation is the core. Barton is
    better than thoroughbred and thoroughbred is better than Palamino.

    Chris Phillipo, Feb 1, 2004
  17. Gunny Bunny

    QBall Guest

    I think you may mean Thoroughbred or Barton.
    Barton has more cache 512, not 256 and gets higher FSB (generally).

    QBall, Feb 1, 2004
  18. Gunny Bunny

    QBall Guest

    2500 - easily.
    Will get you much better FSB and higher gross o/c.

    QBall, Feb 1, 2004
  19. Gunny Bunny

    QBall Guest

    Actually, the 2600 looks like a Barton too - with 333.

    QBall, Feb 1, 2004
  20. Gunny Bunny

    Hank Guest

    Yeah you could be right. I can only get my 2600+ Barton up to 2519MHz and
    still be prime 95 stable. I can only imagine what I could do with a cpu that
    had a locked mutilplier of 11 instead of 11.5

    Hank

    Hank, Feb 1, 2004