Athlon XP 2200+@2700+ (2166 Mhz) on A7N8x-x: BIOS's revenge

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by M Arino, Oct 10, 2003.

  1. M Arino

    M Arino Guest

    Hi there,

    I am new to this NG, I want to comment on my first OC experience.
    I had bought the parts for my new system in the course of a few weeks,
    and finally had time yesterday for the assembly. All was fine, even
    the OCing at the final speed (with stock Vcore), but as I saw pretty
    low temperature in idle mode, I decided to OC the FSB a bit more.
    Then I got corrupted BIOS screens. The BIOS flash program wouldn't
    work, but at some point the system went, after two hours of booting
    and showing corrupted BIOS screens, into default settings (sort of).
    Then, the BIOS stopped showing corrupt screens, I restored the 13*166
    and all was good (17% Mhzs increase at first try was not too bad for
    me)
    BTW, my memory is TwinMOS PC3200, the lowest number of the latencies
    was 2.5 and the highest 7. Do you think I can run this memory with
    more agressive timings?
    I read in the NG about getting a spare BIOS chip and doing some hot
    flashing when I get corrupted BIOS problems, where do I get such a
    BIOS chip? I don't want to venture into hardcore OC if I have to
    worry about corrupt BIOS.

    Thanx for the help,

    Miguel

    M Arino, Oct 10, 2003

  2. M Arino

    BooTwo Guest

    All I can say is welcome to nforce 2 overclocking; I just went through this
    with my first nforce 2 board.

    You tried resetting the cmos, right? Also different people sell reflashed
    bios chips or reflash yours (I think badflash.com is one, no plug, I never
    used them but did research this). I reset my cmos, tried reflashing several
    times, finally it took.

    I have to say you shouldn't flash from the windows flash program at this
    point but that's my opinion.

    I have buffalo memory with twinmoss chips; I run 2.5 3 3 7 or 2.5 3 3 11
    since I'm finding my overclocking limits ike you are.

    I wouldn't change the memory timings while trying to overclock and make sure
    the last "3" is there.

    Good luck, smarter people will soon reply

    BooTwo, Oct 11, 2003

  3. M Arino

    Lurch Guest

    My 512Mb TwinMos PC2700 (333 MHz 2,5-3-8-3)
    is running @ 384 MHz (2-2-5-2) with a little voltage increase (2,8 v)

    and I've added a Vantec copper heatspreader, just to be safe ;-)

    You can expect 420-440 MHz from your PC3200, I guess

    Lurch

    Lurch, Oct 11, 2003