    1800+ heatsink and put it on my 2400+ heatsink? Eventually, it will be
    replaced. Is there just a CPU fan replacement I can get or an alternative?
    I don't want to take off the heatsink unless I have to. Thanks.

    Travis King, Mar 16, 2005

  2. Travis King

    J B Guest

    I can't recall what the stock fans are like on the XP2400+; should just
    be a standard 60mm fan. In which case you can just head out to any
    computer shop, pick up a 60mm fan for a few bucks (just make sure it has
    at least the same airflow as the stock one does; some quiet 60mm fans
    sacrifice air flow for silence).
    Then all you'll have to do is unscrew the old fan and pop the new one
    on... shouldn't need to take the heatsink off.

    Justin

    J B, Mar 16, 2005

  3. Travis King

    Travis King Guest

    I went ahead and tried it, but the noise was still there. Found out that
    the barely new video card was the culprit. the grease on it was caked.
    Cleaned off the grease and oiled it and now it's fine, but I did have one of
    the two bearings fall out when we tore apart the CPU fan, but it seems to be
    working, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

    Travis King, Mar 16, 2005
  4. Travis King

    J B Guest

    Glad you found the problem :)