Athlon XP 2400+ into a ECS K7S5A motherboard?

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by patrickantoun, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. hello everyone,

    I have a computer with a K7S5A motherboard and an AMD Duron processor
    running at a clock speed of 1.2GHz and 512MB of DDR ram. I originally
    bought and built this computer about 5 years ago and i've never updated
    the bios (this computer has always been running just fine). I also have
    another computer available with an A7V333 motherboard and an Athlon XP
    2400+ processor (this computer doesn't run so well and seems to crash
    randomly even when not being used).

    I'd like to know if i can simply place the Athlon XP processor into the
    K7S5A motherboard (replacing the AMD Duron) or would I need to update
    the bios and make some changes? I would like to do this so that i can
    take advantage of the significantly larger L2 cache on the Athlon
    processor (4 times larger than the Duron) and hopefully obtain a slight
    improvement in performance.

    I would also like to know if it's possible to damage anything on the
    K7S5A motherboard by trying this processor swap......or will the worst
    case scenario be that the computer simply won't boot up or be unstable
    with the Athlon XP? and if the Athlon XP processor doesn't work out in
    the K7S5A motherboard can I simply put the Duron processor back in
    without any harm done?

    thank you for your time and advice.

    patrick

    patrickantoun, Aug 7, 2006

  2. patrickantoun

    Wes Newell Guest

    You may not NEED to upgrade the bios first, but it would certanly be a
    good idea. And the improvement should be a lot more than slight. In fact
    it should be about double, CPU wise anyway.
    Shouldn't hurt a thing. I've put newer XP's in boards much older than the
    K7S5A.

    Wes Newell, Aug 7, 2006

  3. patrickantoun

    Frodo Guest

    I beleive the K7S5A runs at 133MHz bus speed.
    Does the XP 2400+ use the 133MHz or 166MHz bus speed?

    There are some fourms out there that have custom bios (I think one is called
    Cheapo bios?)
    for the K7S5A and can answer questions.

    Frodo, Sep 5, 2006
  4. patrickantoun