Athlon XP 2400+ Socket "A" CPU temperatures on MSI KM2M Motherboard.

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by ML, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. ML

    ML Guest

    Issue: Athlon XP 2400+ Socket "A" CPU temperatures on MSI KM2M Motherboard.

    Setup: Two Identical Workstations
    I have two workstations equipped with MSI MS-6738 Model KM2M motherboards,
    both with Athlon XP 2400+ Socket A Retail CPUs, heat sinks and AMD cooling
    fans. The retail heat sinks came with pre-applied heat sink compound, the
    no pull tape version. These workstations are NOT overclocked. During CPU
    and heat sink installation, great care was excercised to ensure that the
    heat sinks were seated properly on each CPU per AMD retail pack published
    specifications. Both ATX computer cases have front and rear mounted 80CM
    CPU fans. Each machine has 2 hard drive/hard drive cooler fan assemblies
    mounted in the 5.25" drive bays, pushing fresh air into the case. Overall
    case air flow is in through three places in the the front and out the rear
    mounted case fan and power supply.

    On both machines MSI PC Alert 4, hardware monitoring software, shows the CPU
    temperature as 58-62 Celsius with system temperatures of 25 Celsius. With
    the cover off the side of the tower, CPU temperatures hover near 55 Celsius
    with system temperature of 20 Celsius. When the MSI PC Alert 4
    "Cooler XP" button is pressed the temperature does drop substantially, from
    a typical 58-62 Celsius
    down to 43 Celsius, when it is activated.

    Question 1:
    Are 58-62 Celsius temperatures considered normal for the AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    CPU?

    Question 2:
    If the CPU temperatures that I am experiencing are too high, what additional
    measures can be taken to reduce the CPU temperatures? Feel free to suggest
    other heat sinks, fans or heat sink compounds that you have found beneficial
    to use with the Athlon XP 2400+ Socket A CPUs.

    Question 3:
    What steps does MSI PC Alert 4, hardware monitoring software, take when the
    user presses the "Cooler XP" button to reduce the CPU temperature? Is the
    "Cooler XP" button initiating a slowing of the CPU clock?

    Please post reply to this group for all to benefit.

    Thanks in advance!
    ML

    ML, Feb 9, 2004

  2. ML

    Donn Guest

    my 2400 runs @ 58 when gaming - that's with case open and fan blowing in -
    seems OK for one year now

    Donn, Feb 10, 2004

  3. ML

    Sunbow Guest

    sounds like the first temps were core temps and the second were surface
    temps. my XP2000+ runs with 58degrees core temp and 39degrees surface temp
    @2000MHz.

    Sunbow, Feb 10, 2004
  4. ML

    Wes Newell Guest

    Not at idle. The cooler should have had a plasic film over the heat pad to
    protect it. Did you remove this before installing the cooler.? Personally,
    I'd scrape the whole pad off and use thermal compound. It's a lot better.
    It could be the stock coolers are just crap (and probably are). You don't
    need an expensive cooler. A TR2-M1 ($8) will do the job even overclocked.
    Probably turns on stop grant. But just a guess. That allows bus disconnect
    when cpu is idle, thus basically running the cpu at 0MHz most of the time
    until you load it. Something like this.
    [[email protected] wes]# athcool stat
    athcool version 0.3.0
    enabling/disabling Athlon Powersaving mode

    SiS 746[FX] (1039 0746) found
    'bus Disconnect when STPGNT detected' bit is enabled.
    [[email protected] wes]# sensors
    w83697hf-isa-0290
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Algorithm: ISA algorithm
    VCore: +1.68 V (min = +1.42 V, max = +1.93 V)
    +3.3V: +3.26 V (min = +3.13 V, max = +3.45 V)
    +5V: +4.99 V (min = +4.72 V, max = +5.24 V)
    +12V: +12.14 V (min = +10.74 V, max = +13.16 V)
    V5SB: +5.05 V (min = +4.73 V, max = +5.24 V)
    VBat: +3.37 V (min = +2.40 V, max = +3.60 V)
    fan1: 4687 RPM (min = 3000 RPM, div = 2)
    fan2: 0 RPM (min = 3000 RPM, div = 2)
    CPU: +32°C sensor = thermistor
    MB: +32.0°C sensor = thermistor

    This as a 2100+ overclocked to a 2700+ @2166MHz. Using an Vantec Aeroflow
    cooler with added fan control on medium speed. Works good, but the TR2-M1
    works almost as well and is a lot quieter since it uses an 80mm fan.

    Wes Newell, Feb 10, 2004
  5. ML

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Not the newer ones Wes, they don't have the plastic film, they have a clear
    plastic cover on the bottom of the 'sink instead. I guess too many idiots
    weren't removing the film so they changed the set-up.

    ~misfit~, Feb 11, 2004
  6. ML

    Bill Guest

    Just installed a Thermalright SP-97 yesterday that had the peel off type plastic
    film. Looks like they come both ways, depending on model and manufacturer.

    Bill

    Bill, Feb 11, 2004
  7. ML

    Wes Newell Guest

    Hope it can't be installed with it on. If it can, someone will:)

    Wes Newell, Feb 11, 2004
  8. ML

    ~misfit~ Guest

    LOL, too true. But, no. It's a large plastic cover that fits over the bottom
    of the whole HSF.

    ~misfit~, Feb 11, 2004
  9. ML

    ~misfit~ Guest

    You're right Bill. However, in this case I was talking about AMD standard
    HSFs that come with the boxed CPUs.

    ~misfit~, Feb 11, 2004
  10. ML

    Bill Guest

    Heh. Teach me to stagger into the middle of a thread.

    BTW, the SP-97 was replacing an SLK-800. Seems the tension in the latch had
    weakoned to the point where the HSF would occaisionally pull away from the CPU
    causing an overheat/shutdown situation. Gave me an excuse to replace the old
    Asus Deluxe 1.6 board in it with an Abit NFS-7 2.0 at the same time.

    Bill

    Bill, Feb 11, 2004
  11. ML

    ML Guest

    The group,

    Thanks for all the input gentlemen. I will look into the Vantec Aeroflow
    cooler with added fan control & the TR2-M1 as suggested.

    Thank-you
    ML

    ML, Feb 11, 2004
  12. ML

    ML Guest

    Wes,

    Thanks to you and the other members of the group for all the inputs.

    My AMD retail CPU kit came with a big clear plastic cap that covered the
    entire bottom of the heatsink, no tape.

    ML

    ML, Feb 11, 2004