    ( I mean semprons here)

    Thanks guys

    Chris

    Chris Lewis, Feb 13, 2007

  2. Chris Lewis

    Strutter1982 Guest

    Sempron is basically a cheap version of an Athlon XP processor, so if they
    sell one they should sell the other.
    The Athlon XP would be the better cpu to buy.

    Strutter1982, Feb 13, 2007

  3. Chris Lewis

    Wes Newell Guest

    You're just not going to get an upgrade of any measure unless your MB can
    do a 200MHz FSB. Have you tried raising your FSB? What MB do you have?

    Wes Newell, Feb 13, 2007
  4. Chris Lewis

    Paul Guest

    The AMD rating system is a "Performance Rating" or P.R. system.

    Athlon P.R. rating compares to Pentium 4 clock speed.
    Sempron P.R. rating compares to Intel Celeron clock speed.

    Thus, the 3000 rating of a Sempron is not directly comparable
    to the 2500 rating of the Athlon.

    The devices typically differ in the amount of cache on the processor.

    Overclocking your current processor, will do you as much good,
    as buying another one.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 14, 2007
  5. Chris Lewis

    Chris Lewis Guest

    Unfortunately I have a Asus A7V8X MX SE. Its FSB capabilities top out at
    333 :(. I was kind of hoping some of the new 333 FSB semprons would be a
    decent improvement but it appears not. I use this machine to encode video
    and it is SLOW. I was kind of hoping to just speed that up a bit. Oh well
    I'm gonna up the ram (from 512 to 1gig) and start saving for a new rig I
    think.

    Chris Lewis, Feb 15, 2007