Athlon XP-M 2500+ FSB 266 VS Athlon XP 2500+ FSB 333

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by FSK, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. FSK

    FSK Guest

    Hi,

    I am planning to buy an Athlon 2500+ processor with the intention of
    overclocking it to 2.2 Ghz (XP 3200 performance). Through the research
    on the web, I've discovered that the mobile version of the cpu has an
    unlocked multiplier which is good for overclocking while the desktop
    version has a locked multiplier. So the mobile version sounds more
    interesting but remains the question of the FSB. The mobile version
    runs at 266 Mhz while the desktop version runs at 333 Mhz.

    Can please anybody tell me if the difference of 66 Mhz gives an edge
    to the desktop version ?

    Also I noticed that for the multimedia instructions the mobile version
    seems to be limited to SSE while the desktop version, I think, has
    SSE2.

    What's the best choice ?

    Regards.

    FSK

    FSK, Jun 21, 2004

  2. You can run it at any FSB you like since it's unlocked. I run mine (mobile
    2400+) 12x200.

    They're the same processor core.

    David Maynard, Jun 21, 2004

  3. FSK

    hey Guest

    Same here... I actually have the 2600mobile on a Abit NF7 mobo...
    running 12x220 as I speak... ummm, type. Granted, I'm using
    pc3700ram... I was gonna buy pc3200ram, but eneded up scoring a deal
    back when I bought this, so I said -bleep- it and bought the faster
    stuff. Now I'm glad I did. I've taken it higher, but for everyday
    use, 12x220 at 1.675v is fine- this RAM just gives me more top-end on
    my fsb. The 2500m should run about the same, maybe a little less on
    the top end. If you really want more, spend the extra $10 and get
    the 2600m... but either way, you can't lose.

    I've also read some intriguing reviews on overclocking the 35watt
    2400m, and supposedly this thing can really be cranked up with less
    operational heat, meaning a good cooling solution will give a higher
    yield, provided ram and motherboard support it.

    These mobile AMDs remind of the heady days of the 1700xp... all of
    less than 2 yrs ago when people were cranking THOSE up to 2300mhz and
    higher.

    ==============

    hey, Jun 22, 2004
  4. FSK

    BRH Guest

    Does anyone know if the Athlon XP-M 2500+ (266) would run on an Epox 8kha+ motherboard? If so, how
    high could it reasonably be overclocked to, using my existing PC2100 RAM? How about with a RAM
    upgrade to PC2700 or PC3200?

    Thanks!

    BRH, Jun 23, 2004
  5. FSK

    Andrew Guest

    I have a M XP 2500 running on an abit an7
    219 x 11 (1.71 vlts) @ 2.41 Ghz
    2 x 256 OCZ dual channel gold pc 4000
    Swiftech MCX 462
    Get the mobile yet a good heat sink