Athlon64 3000 -- Thermal pad or thermal compound?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Leon, Oct 8, 2004.

  1. Leon

    Leon Guest

    Hi, I'm new to building systems, and am thinking about eventually
    overclocking this thing I'm putting together right now.. but I need a
    hint from those who know.

    I'm finding conflicting information about whether one is better off
    using thermal compound or thermal pad with an Athlon64 3000. I have a
    ThermalTake TR2-M6 heatsink that I was planning to use with it, and it
    has a thermal pad already on. The other alternative is some Arctic
    Silver 5, 3.5 grams of which I also have.

    Some people seem to be staunch with the whole "compound is only for
    testing CPUs, thermal pad is the permanent way to go" thing, yet
    others say that you can't go wrong with AS 5. Let's not talk
    overclocking for now, but just in general--should I mount the heatsink
    and just go, or should I scrape off the thermal pad and apply AS 5 to
    the CPU?

    Suggestions appreciated!

    Leon, Oct 8, 2004

  2. Leon

    borolad Guest

    AS and all of the other [ grease types ] are overpriced hype. There
    are as many different opinions on this as there are fleas on a dogs
    back.

    My rule . . . if your not an overclocker, and are not going to be
    changing heatsinks regularly, use the supplied TIM.

    BoroLad

    borolad, Oct 8, 2004

  3. Leon

    mikellp Guest

    I used the pad on my Athlon64 and when i tried removing the HSF is was
    stuck on the cpu. Took a lot of prying to get it off and the pins just
    popped from the socket while it was still locked. Luckily no damage was
    done.

    Just from the 'gluing' properties of the pad, its a bad idea. Don't try
    it if you ever intend to remove the HSF.

    mikellp, Oct 8, 2004
  4. Leon

    Ykalon Guest

    Be careful when you do want to change heatsink though. When I changed it
    on my Athlon64 2800+ it ripped the CPU out of its socket:) No broken
    pins luckily... I will NEVER use Thermal pads again that's for sure.

    Ykalon, Oct 16, 2004
  5. Leon

    borolad Guest

    Fair comment ykalon, I was stating that AS / and all the others are
    crap but pointed out to those who don't change H/S often that pads are
    as good or better [ long term ] than expensive grease.

    BoroLad

    borolad, Oct 16, 2004
  6. Leon

    Leon Guest

    Be careful when you do want to change heatsink though. When I changed it
    Figured I'd post a follow-up. I asked around and decided to use AS5
    purely because more people voiced support of that vs. thermal pad (not
    because I think I know what works better, I truly don't!), and CPU
    temperature is steady between 26-29C. I figure it's not too shabby in
    comparison with other temperatures people report.

    People say AS is too expensive, but I'm not sure if it really can be
    called that. I paid $7.50 for a 3.5g tube, but with the amount
    required for an application, I should be able to handle around 15-20
    small die chips or 12-15 heat spreader ones. So is it really so bad?

    Leon, Oct 17, 2004