    I ordered the retail one. The OEM is listed as having 1MB.
    As far as I know the only difference is the warrantee and fan.

    Jim M

    JBM, Jun 15, 2004

  2. JBM

    Paul Guest

    Shopping from the processor catagory web page and searching
    for Athlon 64, I see these two:

    Athlon 64 3200+ 512KB 2.2GHz Retail $282 ADA3200BOX
    Athlon 64 3200+ 1MB 2.0GHz Retail $282 ADA3200AXBOX

    I guess AMD is in the middle of a confusing transition. Best
    to check with your vendor, to see if you are getting a processor
    with more cache, or a processor that is better at driving DIMMs.
    At least according to this thread...

    http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=1329045

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 15, 2004

  3. JBM

    JBM Guest

    The model newegg lists is the ADA3200AXBOX
    According to the link you gave you have them reversed.
    Looks like I ordered the 512KB cache model.
    Guess I better call Newegg tomorrow.

    Thanks
    Jim M

    JBM, Jun 15, 2004
  4. JBM

    Bjarnep Guest

    AND they got 2 different CPU sockets

    S 754 and S 940, so check what type

    your motherboard is designed for

    BjarneP

    Bjarnep, Jun 15, 2004
  5. JBM

    Paul Guest

    Oops :) You're right, the 'BOX and 'AXBOX should be reversed.
    It is confusing :) And I tried to look up and verify on the
    AMD site, and they currently show only 512KB, as if the 1MB
    never existed. I wish AMD had the equivalent of
    processorfinder.intel.com

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 15, 2004
  6. JBM

    JBM Guest

    I got the right socket (754) just missed the cache.
    Maybe I won't notice any difference if I don't run any benchmarks.

    Jim M

    JBM, Jun 15, 2004