AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has Speed Complexity

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by LongBow, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. LongBow

    LongBow Guest

    Learned scholars,

    My AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has Speed
    Complexity.

    The displayed CPU speed on startup BIOS is 1.25gHz with FSB setting of
    100mhz. Actual speed of Athlon XP2000 is 1.67ghz as provided by AMD.

    Upon changing of FSB settings to 105mhz, speed rises to 1.275ghz. At 110mhz,
    speed is 1.330ghz. When set to 133mhz,
    BIOS displayed 'ATHlonXP 2000' but then system went into a lockup/hanged.

    At 266mhz, system could not be booted. I have to manually flash the BIOS
    RAM to set back to default setting.

    At 110fsbmhz cpu=1330ghz, system is not that stable. BIOS settings
    sometimes will jump back to default 100mhz. Currently system is stable
    under 100mhz cpu=1.25ghz

    Or maube i was conned by the pc dealer into getting a lower speed athlon?

    pls advise. thanks.

    LongBow, Apr 29, 2004

  2. LongBow

    Stacey Guest

    Sounds like a ram issue to me..

    Stacey, Apr 29, 2004

  3. LongBow

    Wes Newell Guest

    That's what it should be with default12.5 multiplier.
    If you set the FSB to 133, it will be.
    As it should, except without the lockups.
    12.5x266=3325Mhz. You didn't really expect it to work at that speed did
    you. Forget the bogus 266MHz. The default FSB for the CPu is 133MHz.
    Nope. It's a 2000+. Just don't know which model. Palomino, Tbred A, or
    Tbred B.
    Best guess from the info you provided, ram or ram settings problem.

    Wes Newell, Apr 29, 2004
  4. LongBow

    Dothan Guest

    I think you didn't read the Manual is it? AMD Socket A (452 pins)
    Motherboard got 1 jumper to set the FSB either in 100MHz or 133Mhz mode.
    The default setting for that jumper is 100Mhz.
    When it is set at 100Mhz, your frequency divider for AGP and PCI is 2/3
    and 1/3 respectively.
    Frequency divider for 133MHz is 66/133 and 33/133 respectively
    So... if you use BIOS to "overlock" it from 100 till 133MHz... (imagine
    2/3 * 133 is not equal 66/133) this will raise the bus speed for AGP and
    PCI. Consequently your system will hang or not stable.
    Try to locate the FSB Jumper.

    P/S : That FSB jumper is not meant for overclocking, it is just for
    dividing the frequency for AGP and PCI. FSB can be raised by BIOS.

    Dothan, Apr 29, 2004
  5. LongBow

    ll Guest

    Manually flash the BIOS, how?

    ll, Apr 30, 2004
  6. LongBow

    junxion Guest

    tests;ef'
    sefv

    junxion, May 2, 2004
  7. LongBow

    Nanyang Guest

    Kingmax 400mhz detected by mobo as 333mhz even after adjustment to 400mhz in
    bios

    Nanyang, May 2, 2004
  8. LongBow

    Nanyang Guest

    i did read the manual but nowhere can i find anything that says there is a
    jumper that u mentioned.

    yups one techie told me about this in KL's low yat plaza. thanks for ur
    help.

    AMD Socket A (452 pins)

    Nanyang, May 2, 2004