ATI 3870/3805 vs 800GT and HDMI capability

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Dennis, Feb 11, 2008.

  1. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Hi

    I want to build a HTPC for HDTV and Gaming, and would like to know
    what direction I should go!
    Firstly I know the ATI 3850/3870 cards do have the capability to
    stream HDMI (5.1 ch sound). The question I have is - If I want to use
    a Sound Blaster Card instead of the Graphics card sound (better
    quality), how do I connect it to my TV. Can I connect an HDMI cable to
    the Graphics card, but disable the sound and then use the sound from
    the Sound Blaster card.

    or

    Should I go with the 8800GT and then use the Sound Blaster card.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated

    Regards

    Dennis

    Dennis, Feb 11, 2008

  2. Dennis

    Carl Guest

    Thats what I do. HDMI from an HD3870 Crossfire setup, and the sound from an
    Auzentech Audigy over optical. Hi Def movies are great! The cable I use is a
    DVI to HDMI one, I have tried a HDTV to HDTV cable as ATI supplies a fancy
    connector, but it doesn't display the desktop at full resolution. My monitor
    is 1920x1200, and I can display 1080p Hi Def video. I am sorry, but I cannot
    advise you on Nvidia cards, but HD-DVD runs smooth on my 3870 crossfire
    setup. Hope this helps.

    Carl, Feb 11, 2008

  3. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Hi Carl,

    Thanks for the info. Just one more thing - I guess that if you take
    DVI to HDMI and then sound from the Sound Blaster Card that you will
    have to plug the sound into a Surround Sound device and that the TV
    speakers will not work?

    Dennis, Feb 13, 2008