    So far I upgraded the BIOS, the Chipset Drivers, removed old video
    drivers. I tried all of the possible tweakings in the BIOS as well.

    Any Ideas????

    Joe Hard Drive, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Joe Hard Drive

    spongebob Guest

    ATI cards leave a tremendous amount of crapola in the registry. Try booting
    in safe mode an running the Catalyst Uninstaller (Link below). Then shut
    down and see if the system will restart. If it does follow the directions on
    installing the standard VGA drivers. After they have installed properly,
    shut down and restart. Then reinstall the ATI drivers precisely following
    the directions posted on their site.

    Also, make sure you check and delete (if necessary) all of the ATI folders
    after the Catalyst uninstall finishes.

    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html

    spongebob, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Joe Hard Drive

    Gordon Scott Guest

    just for the hell of it, use the switch on the board disabling the
    firewire ports, till you get stability.

    Gordon Scott, Jan 16, 2004
  4. Actually I have the same problem a plain ATI AIW 8500 board that
    dosen't have Firewire either.

    Joe Hard Drive, Jan 16, 2004
  5. Joe Hard Drive

    neopolaris Guest

    Have you got good memory and a quality power supply?

    neopolaris, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Tried a different and better power supply and it did not help. I am
    using Kingston Memory that is approved by the motherboard manufacture.
    Just curious about your thoughts of the memory being the problem. If
    the system works fine with other video cards, the memory to me would
    seem OK. Is there somthing I am missing?
    Thanks

    Joe Hard Drive, Jan 17, 2004
  7. Joe Hard Drive

    neopolaris Guest

    Just wondering if it was quality as well. You hadn't mentioned it or the
    brand of PS. Best wishes.

    neopolaris, Jan 17, 2004
  8. Joe Hard Drive

    Kent_Diego Guest

    Actually I have the same problem a plain ATI AIW 8500 board that
    If you have same problem with two different cards, then it's not the video
    card at fault. I bet it is the motherboard being unable to supply enough
    current to feed the 8500. I have seen similar things before.

    -Kent

    Kent_Diego, Jan 17, 2004
  9. The first power supply was a Antec. The second Enermax. Both power
    supplies were 430 watts. For testing purposes I disconnected every
    thing possible. The only thing connected was the video board a one
    hard drive.

    Joe Hard Drive, Jan 17, 2004
  10. Is there a good way to check the voltage of the AGP ports. All of the
    utilites I run show the 3.3v line is good.

    Joe Hard Drive, Jan 17, 2004
  11. Joe Hard Drive

    John Guest

    I've got the same video card and the P4P800 Deluxe MB and didn't have any
    trouble. I think I did go to the ATI web page and update the capture driver.
    The problem I'm having is the audio with the SoundMax. Every time I restart
    my computer I have to go and open the soundmax software and select the
    line-in input for recording. If I don't, I get no sound when I capture from
    the TV.

    John, Jan 26, 2004