ati 9000 AIW sound problems during recording

Discussion in 'ATI' started by kirk, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. kirk

    kirk Guest

    when recording TV broadcasts, and then playing back, the sound goes up and
    down. was wondering if this is an issue with this video card, or possibly my
    setup.

    computer is

    msi kt6 FISR /w AMD 2500 Barton core cpu
    using on board 5.1 sound card
    1 gig muskin CL2 memory
    (2) Hitachi 120 gig SATA hard drives ( not raid setup )
    Plextor CDR
    Sony DVD+-DVDRW

    was considering replacing sound card with SoundBlaster Audiology 2 Platnium
    if it would fix sound problem.

    thanks for any help with this

    kirk, Feb 9, 2004

  2. kirk

    John Schuler Guest

    I experience the same thing (also using 5.1 onboard sound). The problem seems to
    occurr in the record phase; I recored MPEG files and played them back with 2
    other non-ATI programs and the problem is still there (I also recorded MPEG
    files using a non-ATI capture method, and they were fine).

    John Schuler, Feb 9, 2004

  3. kirk

    KRF Guest

    Part of the problem with this card is with the ***damned Macrovision crap
    that is stuck in the drivers. We knew that it was causing problems with
    the video sync but never occured to us that it was causing the sound
    variations also. (Sometimes there is a digital MV signal riding on top of
    the audio, but that shouldn't have been a problem in what we are doing.)

    When we finally got an MV killed driver (Linux), the video sensitivity
    problem went away - what surprised us was that the audio variations went
    away also. Still haven't figured that out, but I am happy anyway.

    Now if we could get a comparable WinXP driver, things would be great.

    KRF

    KRF, Feb 10, 2004
  4. kirk

    John Schuler Guest

    Are you saying that all programming from Time Warner cable (roadrunner) is
    Macrovision encoded? I have this problem with the local news, PBS programs,
    everything...

    John Schuler, Feb 10, 2004
  5. kirk

    KRF Guest

    I don't think so. But I have read where they have the ability to add
    Macrovision to their video stream. Also that Hollywood wants the
    Satellite companies to turn it on, but are being resisted since the
    customers would blame Dish and DTV rather than the MV scumbags.

    No, the problem is that on a less than perfect video signal (a la from a
    VCR tape, etc) the ATI drivers will decide that they see a macrovision
    signal and blow up the capture. We did a test where we fed an ATI AIW9000
    card a perfect unmacrovisioned signal from a dvd player with a noise
    injector attached to the input of the card in parallel. As we gradually
    increased the noise factor the signal would degrade naturally to a certain
    point then suddenly just croak as the anti-MV detection kicked in.

    Answer - I sold the ATI card to a gamer and bought a professional capture
    card that is macrovisionless. A buddy fixed his problem much more
    cheaply by installing an old (I mean really old, like 1988 or so) VCR
    between the playing VCR and the capture card as a pass through amplfier.
    It apparently won't pass the MV signal and delivers a clean video at the
    outputs. Worked with his DVD player also.

    KRF

    KRF, Feb 13, 2004
  6. kirk

    kirk Guest

    What video capture card did you buy that wasn't affected by the Macrovision
    encoding?

    I have been so frustrated I have been considering buying Nvida cinama cards
    from Evga to see
    if they have the same problems. I really like my ati card otherwise, and the
    software that
    it ships with. i had a ATI AIW pro card prior to this, and didn't have this
    problems, i upgraded
    because the AIW pro only had 16 megs ram, and didn't have all the feattures
    of the AIW 9000.

    kirk, Feb 14, 2004
  7. kirk

    John Schuler Guest

    I really don't think this is the problem. The video and audio are perfect when
    viewing the realtime signal. The audio in this case has been processed (or
    passed through) the video card and the sound card on it's way to the TV. The
    problem occurrs when I record that same siganl.

    Now I'm fairly sure it's not a Macrovision problem. I just finished recording
    a satellite signal and playing it back. Same problem. I doubt that both Time
    Warner and Dish Network are Macrovision encoding their signals.

    I';ve waited a week for ATI to respond to my bug report (they allege 24-48
    hour response time). I tried installing the drivers that came out Thursday; no
    improvement...

    John Schuler, Feb 14, 2004
  8. kirk

    Valued User Guest

    I'm having the same problem with my 9600 AIW. Watching TV is fine. When
    recording the volume goes up and down. I almost believe its a MacroVision
    problem because the commercials are unaffected.

    My crappy WinTV USB 1.0 doesn't have this problem. It's old and crappy but
    it records fine w/o any volume problems.

    -Valued

    Valued User, Feb 15, 2004
  9. kirk

    Valued User Guest

    I tried to see if the problems are during shows or commercials. The volume
    problem is during shows AND commercials but not all commercials. I also
    recorded shows on 3 differnt channels yesterday and they all had the problem

    Valued User, Feb 18, 2004
  10. kirk

    John Schuler Guest

    I THINK the problem is related to ATI automatice gain control (not AGC on the
    sound card/chip).. Twice I thought I had solved the problem, but I had recorded
    a video clip where the volume was quite steady (a PBS news broadcast, for
    example). There were no problems until the segment changed, and the (louder)
    music came on.

    I'm STILL waiting for a response from ATI - I sent in the problem report a week
    ago Monday...

    John Schuler, Feb 18, 2004
  11. kirk

    Valued User Guest

    That may just be it! Now all we have to do is figure out how to turn the
    damn thing off ;)

    Valued User, Feb 19, 2004