ATI 9600 Pro AIW vs 9800 Pro AIW

Discussion in 'ATI' started by polypheus, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. polypheus

    polypheus Guest

    Originally I was all set to buy the 9600 Pro AIW. While not nearly as
    fast as the 9800 Pro AIW, it did have some advantages, namely the 9600
    Pro AIW has the newer Remote Wonder II, FM receiver, updated software,
    etc. It also has sufficient video performance for my needs.

    However, the biggest drawback to the 9600 Pro AIW is that it does not
    have a DVI-D interface. I am getting a Dell 2001FP 20" LCD monitor and
    think that the video quality would not be at its best if I used VGA
    input.

    Should I get the 9600 Pro AIW and use VGA input for my 20" LCD? Or
    should I just get the 9800 Pro AIW and pay the extra price for DVI-D
    input (also better performance although I think that the 9600
    performance should be sufficient for my needs)?

    If the video quality is little different even using VGA input, then I
    might settle for the 9600 Pro AIW.

    Thanks for your help.

    Please respond in the newsgroup as this email address is used as a
    SPAM sink email address and I do not read it.

    polypheus, Jan 31, 2004

  2. polypheus

    HolyShit Guest

    I just bulit a new P4 machine with ATI AIW 9800 PRO after I returned my Sony
    PCV-RS430G. I am doing lots of video editing and TV recording for my
    schoolwork.

    Well, what a mistake I made!!!! Sony RS430G comes with ATI 9200 128MB with
    a separate TV-tuner, but it comes with very nice software packages. ATI AIW
    9800PRO is much better card than anything-else, but I was shocked how ATI
    provided such a poor quality software packages to its customers.

    TV recording scheduling is terrible, and editing/exporting to different
    format is very limited. I plan to go back to Sony RS530G.

    Bottom line : AIW9800pro is a very nice graphics card. The software comes
    with really sucks even after I upgraded whatever ATI has on its web site.

    HolyShit, Jan 31, 2004

  3. Did your Sony come with Vegas, Dvd Architecht, & Sound Forge??
    If not, what sw was included???

    Nobody_of_Consequence, Feb 1, 2004
  4. polypheus

    singha_lvr Guest

    There is a subtle but significant difference in quality on my LCD
    using DVI. (Mostly noticable in the finer details of images, but also
    quite noticable in the detail of the text rendering.) I have a
    Mitsubishi / NEC 18.1" LCD.

    I wouldn't get a card without DVI. (Just my opinion)

    singha_lvr, Feb 1, 2004
  5. polypheus

    Henry Guest

    I have the AIW 9600 Pro and the 1901FP.

    I would have preferred to have both digital and analog outputs, but I'm quite
    happy with what I have.

    I bought the dell 8300 with the basic card, with the intention of replacing it
    immediately with the 9600 card. Before swapping out the card, I tried
    connecting to the monitor using analog and then digital. Frankly, there was
    little if any difference. Maybe if I could view them side by side...

    The 9800 Pro card has digital, but frankly I had concerns about heat and power -
    apparently the video card needs a separate power connection. Also, I'm not the
    biggest gamer, so I didn't need the extra HP.

    The ATI software has a few quirks, but if I had it to do again, I'd still go for
    the 9600.

    I still think that they -may- come up with a new output cable that will include
    the DVI connection. There may be pins in that board connector that provide it.
    It may be the case that they chose to give us 2 analog outputs, and a third
    output for digital would have made for an awkward pigtail.

    Henry

    Posted Using Agent 1.91
    [to reply, delete the AT]

    Henry, Feb 1, 2004

  6. it would - but take a lot of opinions before getting that lcd - try to see
    it in action.
    mines going back due to the horrible grain style problem thats a 'feature'
    of the monitor - some people don't get bothered about it, others do.

    the dog from that film you saw, Feb 6, 2004