    for a 9800 Pro with slightly better performance doesn't seem to make
    sense.

    @drian.

    @drian, Aug 30, 2003

  2. @drian

    John Hall Guest

    It doesn't make sense. Bang for the buck is definitely not there since the
    9800 pro is simply a refined 9700 pro. What I do is wait and skip a
    generation of cards before upgrading. For example, my last card was a GF 3
    classic. I now have a 9800 non pro which gave my a nice increase in eye
    candy and a modest increase in frame rate.

    JK

    John Hall, Aug 30, 2003

  3. @drian

    John Boy Guest

    Why not use the Omega 2.4.74 drivers then set the 9700 core to 378MHz and
    the 9700 memory to 337.5MHz (9800 Pro defaults).

    John

    John Boy, Aug 30, 2003
  4. "@drian" wrote
    Hi,
    even though I am a Radeon nOOb I have been reading, reading. and reading
    some more write-ups/reviews of newer Radeon cards, with the onus being on
    FPS performance, fillrate, memory bandwidth, overclocking potential etc.

    The 9700Pro at stock speeds appears to be a *TINY* fraction faster than a
    stock 9800np, the 9800Pro at stock speed is clearly faster than a 9800Pro

    FiringSquad - ATI RADEON 9800 Review
    http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/ati_radeon_9800_review/default.asp

    Having said all this it may be the case that when it comes to overclocking
    the 9800np really lets rip. I believe the GPU core on the 9800np is the
    same as the Pro, but I'm sure the Pro has faster memory (2.8ns, 3ns vs. the
    3.3ns on 9800np) but the results I have been seeing at Rage3D forums with
    people taking the 9800np to Pro speeds and then some!

    Rage3D - 9800np-Pro... post your O-C
    www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=83a100d649384bb0b52bbb9d566a70d1&threa
    did=33701955&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

    I'm not sure that you should even consider upgrading your 9700Pro, but if
    you can flog it you could surely afford a 9800np. . .

    Wayne ][

    Wayne Youngman, Aug 31, 2003
  5. @drian

    @ndrew Guest

    Umm no ... different setup from the 9700 altogether ... do some research ..
    the 9800 Pro and the 9600 are related but not the 9700.
    regards
    @ndrew

    @ndrew, Aug 31, 2003
  6. @drian

    Kirby Crosby Guest

    actually you are incorrect.........
    the 9600 pro is not related to the 9800 at all. 9600 is RV350 and the 9800
    is R350. That is all they share in common.
    And for the most part a 9800 is a "refined" 9700 , the made a few changes
    but the basic architecture is the same.
    In my opinion if you already have a 9700, switching to a 9800 is a bit of a
    waste of cash as the differences are only 10-15%. Besides what games do you
    have that you cant play on the 9700 pro?

    Kirby Crosby, Aug 31, 2003
  7. @drian

    @drian Guest

    It doesn't make sense. Bang for the buck is definitely not there
    since the
    OK, so you would wait for the 9900 Pro? Seems a better idea. Saves
    constantly upgrading all the time to keep up-to-date...

    @drian.

    @drian, Aug 31, 2003
  8. @drian

    @drian Guest

    waste of cash as the differences are only 10-15%. Besides what games
    do you
    I was thinking of Half-Life 2 and the DOOM III when it comes out? I
    assume a 9700 Pro will handle those? I'm just not sure. I considered
    it a safe bet by going with a 9800 Pro.

    @drian.

    @drian, Aug 31, 2003
  9. @drian

    @drian Guest

    even though I am a Radeon nOOb I have been reading, reading. and
    reading
    being on

    Yes, me too.
    9800Pro

    You mean 9700 Pro? I have been reading the same thing. The 9800
    Non-Pro and 9700 Pro are about even, with the 9700 Pro gaining some
    ground in some benchmarks. The 9800 Pro is about 5% to 10% faster.
    I don't overclock anything on my system.
    That's the problem, I doubt I'd even get $200 for my card, with it
    being second hand.

    @drian.

    @drian, Aug 31, 2003
  10. @drian

    John Hall Guest

    The 9800 pro is just too close to the 9700 pro. If the 9700 won't do Doom
    III, then the 9800 sure as heck won't. Yeah, I'd wait for the 9900 pro, or
    whatever the next generation of card is. As for me, I bought a 9800 non
    pro, discovered that I could overclock it easily to a 9800 pro, and then
    flashed the bios to make it a 9800 pro. Pretty slick I think. But I plan
    to buy my next card in late 2005.

    JK

    John Hall, Sep 1, 2003
  11. @drian

    @drian Guest

    Sounds like a good idea. That's just it, the 9700 Pro is too close to
    justify spending $360. It's too minor an upgrade to spend that amount of
    money.
    Wow, nice one! I personally don't overclock, but if you could get a 9800
    Pro out of the Non-Pro - good on you!

    @drian.

    @drian, Sep 2, 2003
  12. how did u flash the bios and which company is ur card made from . GIVE ME
    EVERY DETAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol . i cant wait to get a new video card and
    now u tell me that a 9800 can be o/c to a 9800 pro and flashing the bios
    will get the extra pipelines working . ur my hero . tell me quick how u did
    that.

    [D.A][email protected]#Bourne, Sep 2, 2003
  13. @drian

    John Hall Guest

    Just go here and you will have all of the information you need:
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=89bf38a8f00b2cf1865f547d493ba0f3&threadid=33695811

    Make sure that on the disk on which you are putting the 9800 pro bios, you
    include not only the flashrom.exe file, but also the flashrom.rom file and
    the dos4gw.exe file.

    I bought a Sapphire 9800 non pro. Apparently there are two kinds of 9800
    non pro's, my kind and the SE model. Avoid the SE model since it either has
    only 4 pixel pipelines, or the memory bandwidth has been limited to 128,
    depending on which one you buy. The regular 9800 non pro card is exactly
    the same as the pro version, except that its bios is set to run the card's
    core and memory at a slower speed, and MAY have slower ram.

    When I got my Sapphire 9800 non pro card, I downloaded the ATI omega
    drivers, which are the same as the regular ATI drivers, only hacked to
    permit you to overclock your card. I then gradually increased the clock
    speed of the card and then tested it using the artifact tester that comes
    with the Omega drivers. I found that I could easily overclock the card to
    the same speed as a 9800 pro with absolutely no problems. After a week of
    running the card at the overclocked speed without any problems whatsoever, I
    decided to flash the bios of the card and make it a 9800 pro. There's
    always a risk involved in doing this, but on the basis of the accounts of
    success that I read, I decided to go for it. I did it, and now I have a
    card that is recognized by XP as a 9800 pro and runs at pro clock speeds.
    In fact, I think I could overclock the card from its pro speeds, but I'm not
    going to, being thankful for what I have.

    JK

    John Hall, Sep 2, 2003