ATI 9700pro broke, wait till nextgen card? When do they come out?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Brook Harty, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Brook Harty

    Brook Harty Guest

    I have had my 9700 pro break, I need to purchase a card, pricewatch
    lists 9800pro's (oem's) for 220 bux, most with 1 year warranty.

    Just curious when ATI is going to release a new GFX card, Would be
    pretty bad spending 220+ bux when ATI releases new models 2 months
    from now. Of course, i need a GFX card now, and the 9800pro(OEM) looks
    nice for 220 bux (pricewatch).

    I'm limping along with a fx 5200/128meg, the thing is dog slow, smoke
    in CS makes it pause, and cant run with AA/AF as well as my 9700pro.
    Was thinking of getting a 9600 for 130 bux, but thats little much.

    Just wish I knew when ATI was going to release its nextgen GPU. Maybe
    the 9800pro for 220 bux is the best bet. Its a great price and card,
    and I would feel burnt if ATI released a new card next month, and
    prices drop.

    What do you guys/gals think? Wait or buy? Or look at a different
    model?

    -Brook

    Brook Harty, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Brook Harty

    DaveW Guest

    The next ATI card is due out no later than June. Possibly sooner.

    DaveW, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Brook Harty

    Rob G Guest

    Does it not have a 3 year warranty? Or did you break it yourself and
    voided the
    warranty?

    Rob G, Feb 7, 2004
  4. Brook Harty

    Pluvious Guest

    On 6 Feb 2004 13:49:51 -0800, (Brook Harty) wrote:

    ||I have had my 9700 pro break, I need to purchase a card, pricewatch
    ||lists 9800pro's (oem's) for 220 bux, most with 1 year warranty.
    ||Just curious when ATI is going to release a new GFX card, Would be
    ||pretty bad spending 220+ bux when ATI releases new models 2 months
    ||from now. Of course, i need a GFX card now, and the 9800pro(OEM) looks
    ||nice for 220 bux (pricewatch).
    ||I'm limping along with a fx 5200/128meg, the thing is dog slow, smoke
    ||in CS makes it pause, and cant run with AA/AF as well as my 9700pro.
    ||Was thinking of getting a 9600 for 130 bux, but thats little much.
    ||Just wish I knew when ATI was going to release its nextgen GPU. Maybe
    ||the 9800pro for 220 bux is the best bet. Its a great price and card,
    ||and I would feel burnt if ATI released a new card next month, and
    ||prices drop.
    ||What do you guys/gals think? Wait or buy? Or look at a different
    ||model?
    ||-Brook

    Boy thats a tough call.. the next gen are supposed to be a pretty big
    leap in performace over the 9800. Like twice to three times faster. I
    couldn't go 3 months without a good video card so I would get the 9800
    pro for the $220 now. Keep in mind the new cards will be expensive all
    over again.. $299 $399 $499 etc.. You certainly won't get the new ones
    for $220. I'd also keep an eye out for a cheap another 9700 PRO on
    ebay or something. If you can find one for $150 it would be worth it
    to just get you by until the next generation hit later this summer.

    Pluvious

    Pluvious, Feb 7, 2004