    im in the market for a 9800 card. What is the diffference in buying
    ati's card or something by sapphire, asus, powercooler?

    Thanks for your help

    frank bruno, Nov 26, 2004

  2. frank bruno

    Paul Murphy Guest

    ATI make the chips for all of the cards and provide reference designs for
    those cards made by the other companies (normally referred to as OEMs -
    although there are other terms too) - these are the makers of "Powered by
    ATI" cards. Some OEMs introduce features or functions not seen in the "Made
    by ATI" products. A good example of this is Sapphire's "Ultimate" range of
    high end cards which use passive cooling through very large heat sinks
    whereas the "Made by ATI" cards with the same chips use chip coolers with
    fans.

    Which brand you buy may be dictated to an extent by where you live/what
    country you buy in. An example of this is that these days ATI only
    distributes its retail product range to North America and Canada so outside
    of these areas it may be hard sourcing genuine Made by ATI retail packaged
    products. Just to confuse things, ATI also make products themselves just for
    OEM markets, these may be distributed through different channels to the
    retail products. An example is that here in the UK we'll soon be seeing the
    OEM but "Made by ATI" eHome Wonder become more widely available (although
    it's already around here if you look hard enough). Pesonally I don't like
    the fact that retail made by ATI products aren't sold here anymore (they
    used to be) because its one less player in a competitive market but then you
    could always buy the product over the web from a US store. The exception to
    this is with "Wonder" products which incorporate TV Tuners (eg TV Wonders,
    All In Wonders and eHome Wonders) because the NTSC Broadcast format products
    made for the US and Canadian markets won't tune to the PAL/SECAM Broadcast
    format used in most other countries worldwide.

    ATI has a facility on their website whereby you can actually compare the
    features present on different manufacturers cards going by the "series"
    here's a link: http://apps.ati.com/compare/

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, Nov 26, 2004

  3. frank bruno

    Clas Mehus Guest

    At least for the once from Sapphire and PowerColor there should be any
    differences for the Radeon 9800 Pro. Don't know about the one from
    Asus. If you look on "9800SE" and "not-so-official-products", there
    might be differences.

    Clas Mehus, Nov 26, 2004
  4. frank bruno

    frank bruno Guest

    Thanks for that Paul. So what would you buy....an Ati card or a another maker?

    frank bruno, Nov 27, 2004
  5. frank bruno

    Paul Murphy Guest

    Depends on the features you want eg does it need to be silent or is a fan
    acceptable, also where you live and the price you can get each one for. One
    things for sure, I'd stay away from a 9800SE based card and only go with the
    full 256 bit memory bus 9800 Pro chip based card (watch out there are/were
    some 128 bit Pro cards about too). Even though the Pro costs more it will
    outperform the SE version significantly. But then my needs and situation may
    be different to yours....

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, Nov 27, 2004
  6. Unless you soft-mod the SE to full Pro like I did mine :) Then you get the
    Pro for the price of an SE :)))

    Marcin Olender, Nov 27, 2004
  7. frank bruno

    ...D. Guest

    I cannot find the test I saw. I was on a site 2 days ago that was given a
    9800 pro by 6 or & manufacturers, and they ran extensive tests head to
    head.

    The best Radeon 9800 Pro was the Powercolor. Because they are the only
    ones who really modified the basics. Everyone else cloned except for a
    few little things. The next best two were the Sapphire and the HIS. I'll
    point out that the PowerColor would also be the most expansive.

    Any though, is better than anything else. Except nVidia fans and some
    others will argue the new nVidia 6600GT is better. If you look into these
    note all are the PCI Express BUS. A coupe are now making a AGP BUS model.
    ...D.

    ...D., Nov 28, 2004
  8. frank bruno

    J. Clarke Guest

    Certainly not "better" than the ATI X800 series.
    The 6600 and 6800 nvidia boards _are_ better than the 9800s. They're a
    generation newer so one would expect them to be. They compete with the
    X600 and X800, not the 9800.

    J. Clarke, Nov 30, 2004
  9. frank bruno

    frank bruno Guest

    Soft-mod??? i'm intrigued. Tell me more. :)

    frank bruno, Dec 2, 2004