ATI AIW 8500DV- fan

Discussion in 'ATI' started by jesop, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. jesop

    jesop Guest

    Hi,

    I bought 2 new ATI AIW 8500DV cards last year on Ebay. Within 3 months the
    first card's fan became noisy and I got it exchanged from seller. Now the
    second card's fan is also getting noisy, but seller has gone out of
    business.

    I found out that ATI does not sell these fans as spares, and that RMA means
    sending in the whole card, and paying $50 once warrenty is over!!! A lot of
    money for a simple fan. Given the cronic failure of these fans (I searched
    and found many postings reporting ATI fan failures) I would like to put
    myself in a position where I have such fans as spares as apart from the fan
    issue the ATI AIW 8500DV is a great card that does all I need very well .

    I wonder if anyone could recommend a supplier who has a fan that can be
    fitted to the ATI AIW 8500DV. I have looked at replacing the fans with
    Zalman passive fans, but the heatsink on the ATI AIW 8500DV is bonded to
    graphic chip and does not come off without huge risk of damgage, and of
    course there are no fixing wholes on card that could cope with the weight of
    the Zalman heatsinks.

    Thanks a lot for any help. I live in UK.

    jesop, Jul 10, 2003

  2. jesop

    J.Clarke Guest

    Your original post at 9:12 showed up just fine--there's no need for you
    to repeat it.

    J.Clarke, Jul 10, 2003