    As for coping with the weight, get some Arctic Silver epoxy and bond it
    on and the weight won't be a problem. You won't get it off again unless
    you mix in some of the nonadhesive thermal paste to weaken the bond.

    J.Clarke, Jul 10, 2003

  2. J.Clarke

    jesop Guest

    Hi,

    I bought 2 new ATI AIW 8500DV cards last year on Ebay. Within 3 months the
    first card's fan became noisy and I got it exchanged from seller. Now the
    second card's fan is also getting noisy, but seller has gone out of
    business.

    I found out that ATI does not sell these fans as spares, and that RMA means
    sending in the whole card, and paying $50 once warrenty is over!!! A lot of
    money for a simple fan. Given the cronic failure of these fans (I searched
    and found many postings reporting ATI fan failures) I would like to put
    myself in a position where I have such fans as spares as apart from the fan
    issue the ATI AIW 8500DV is a great card that does all I need very well .

    I wonder if anyone could recommend a supplier who has a fan that can be
    fitted to the ATI AIW 8500DV. I have looked at replacing the fans with
    Zalman passive fans, but the heatsink on the ATI AIW 8500DV is bonded to
    graphic chip and does not come off without huge risk of damgage, and of
    course there are no fixing wholes on card that could cope with the weight of
    the Zalman heatsinks.

    Thanks a lot for any help. I live in UK.

    jesop, Jul 10, 2003

  3. J.Clarke

    Mokka Guest

    Hi.
    I put mine in a freezer (8500 AIW) for an hour or so. Popped out the old
    heatsink and fan with a wide and thin screwdriver.
    Then I cleaned the gpu, put some thermal grease (silver arctic etc..) and a
    drop of superglue to every corner of the new heatsink.
    If you use superglue, then it is quite easy to get the sink off....
    No noise and cooler AIW

    Jari ;)

    Then you just haveto clean the gpu.

    Mokka, Jul 11, 2003