    the better performer or value. I see Fry's has white box AIW8500DV's for
    $109

    Thanks, Paul

    Paul ONeill, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Paul ONeill

    Gordon Scott Guest

    for $109 I'd get the 8500dv, that card has a lot of goodies with it. Dos
    it include the remote?

    gordon

    Gordon Scott, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Paul ONeill

    Paul ONeill Guest

    No remote, but I am wondering about performance. I heard the 9000 is choked
    down in some ways compared to 8500's because its built for a lower price
    market.

    Paul ONeill, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Paul ONeill

    J.Clarke Guest

    Depends on what aspects of performance you want. The 8500 will be a bit
    faster for games and the like, but there are two downsides--first, they
    experimented with an all-digital tuner (it won't tune digital channels,
    just uses digital circuitry) which while it might be a good idea in
    principle was badly flawed in execution--the tuner is oversensitive and
    overloads on signals that a standard TV or VCR can display with no
    trouble (I'm sure it's overload because fixed attenuators in the line
    eventually get the signal down to a level that it can handle), and
    second, the connector they used to attach the video/audio in/out dongle
    is horribly fragile--the first time you hook it up it feels like it's
    gone together for keeps, but the first time it gets any side load on it
    it comes apart and bends and never holds together reliably again. They
    use a similar connector on the All-In-Wonder 9600 but they screw it
    down, which shows that even they recognize that it was a bad design.

    J.Clarke, Dec 20, 2003
  5. Paul ONeill

    Guest Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:42:37 -0500, "J.Clarke"

    You got that right! Thank God for duct tape, :)

    Reply Address Purposly Altered to eliminate SPAM
    Reply by Post Only Please

    Guest, Dec 21, 2003