    Can I make the card work here .. I cannot afford to buy a new one

    please help

    Tony

    tony, Nov 19, 2004

  2. tony

    Conor Guest

    They are international. Just re-run the TV setup wizard.

    Conor, Nov 19, 2004

  3. That wont work, since it's a PAL-tuner on the card. You can never have it
    receive NTSC.

    David

    David T. Metz, Nov 19, 2004
  4. tony

    Geoff Guest

    so just change the output to ntsc instead of pal in the display settings
    no big deal ??
    the only v minor problem you will have is the card defaults to pal tv output
    on bootup, then when windows runs it uses the windows drivers

    Geoff, Nov 19, 2004
  5. tony

    Conor Guest

    Wonder why mine lists NTSC as an option...

    Conor, Nov 19, 2004
  6. tony

    Paul Murphy Guest

    Just because your software (ATIs MMC?) lists NTSC as an option, doesn't mean
    it will actually be selectable or tune to/receive NTSC broadcasts. Certainly
    MMC is international in that the same software will work with both PAL and
    NTSC cards but in terms of hardware the cards come in 2 basic flavours which
    are "Universal PAL/SECAM" and "NTSC" (with PAL N/M support). They are NOT
    interchangable and one cant be "flashed" to the other. Tonys best bet would
    be to sell the PAL card second hand and buy an NTSC one or continue to use
    the PAL card and only use the composite in and use an NTSC capable VCR to do
    the tuning.

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, Nov 19, 2004
  7. tony

    T Shadow Guest

    Wouldn't the video in also be PAL(25fps)?

    T Shadow, Nov 20, 2004
  8. tony

    Paul Murphy Guest

    Yes the composite video signal from the VCR would be in PAL format but
    that's plugged in to the video input (either S-Video or Composite) and it's
    not dependant on the tuner module but on other parts of the card ciruitry
    and THAT part is universally compatible. There'll be an All In Wonder X800
    in due course no doubt and when that comes out it would be nice see a
    version which copes with "Global" broadcast standards - ie one card can be
    used anywhere in the world. It would certainly make inventory control and
    distribution simpler (not to mention the benifits for people who move their
    computer to other countries as the OP has done).

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, Nov 20, 2004
  9. tony

    Paul Murphy Guest

    Just visited ATIs site and its already listed - alas only for NTSC and PAL
    N/M only though. Maybe their next big card....

    Paul Murphy, Nov 20, 2004
  10. Not likely. It would be to expensive not to mention heat producing and bulky
    in design. Wait for hdtv, which is digital. With digital transmission it´s
    much easier to produce a card that can cope with all the flavors.

    Dav

    David T. Metz, Nov 20, 2004
  11. tony

    tony Guest

    CaN I use something like dscaler I am trying it and it seems to find
    programs but I cannot change channels etc

    Tony

    tony, Nov 21, 2004
  12. tony

    Paul Murphy Guest

    NO, its a hardware limitation of the card that Universal PAL/SECAM hardware
    can't tune properly to NTSC broadcasts. You may get "bits and pieces" of a
    clear signal/reception because the tuned frequencies may overlap BUT due to
    differences in the actual signal it wont be watchable.

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, Nov 21, 2004
  13. tony

    Paul Murphy Guest

    Given that the differences between PAL/SECAM and NTSC hardware are minimal
    (but still significant), I cant see how you'd say such a card would be to
    large/bulky - sure the tuners and some related circuitry are different
    inside but why cant the hardware be integrated in to one Global tuner (with
    a simple adapter for the different antenna connectors used by PAL vs NTSC
    countries)? The part that produces the most heat by far is the GPU and that
    is the same on both cards. Judging by the amount of fan related "piffle" on
    the new X800 AIW, I dont think ATI would claim they're that squeezed for
    space on the boards. A large price difference would not be justified because
    essentially all the same components would be used, there would just be some
    duplication of cicuitry associated with the tuner and surface mount caps and
    resistors cost just a few pennies/cents each. Certainly the initial design
    work would be intensive but the long term payoffs for the company (stock
    control/inventory management) I believe would justify that.

    I'm not familiar with HDTV but do all countries use exactly the same format
    for broadcast or are there differences? I cant see all counties swapping
    over to HDTV quickly given that many areas in some countries dont even
    receive the full range of channels on the analog range (I'm in this
    situation and I live in the fairley well off - by international
    standards -UK). The cost of infrastucture changes would surely be very high.

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, Nov 21, 2004
  14. tony

    OMaurizio Guest

    Hi,
    the TV tuners on the cards sold in Europe aere different (analogic
    Philips, if I remember) from those for sale in US+CANADA (digital with
    HDTV capability) NO WAY. Sell the card to some friend of yours in UK
    and buy another one.
    Maurizio

    OMaurizio, Nov 21, 2004
  15. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it wont be done for the reasons
    given. Similarly you would be hard pressed to find a regular tv set with a
    "global tuner".
    Agree, but why add more heat than necessary? It will only cause
    cooling-problems.
    There are different standards, but they are much easier to handle in
    software to my knowledge (which is somewhat limited on the subject).
    Yes, it's a long-term perspective. In Denmark, where I live, however, analog
    broadcast was originally planned to be ceased in 2008, but due to technical
    difficulties it has been postponed.

    David

    David T. Metz, Nov 22, 2004