    My question is: is this tech blowing smoke, or is this a real
    incompatibility? Do ATI-based motherboards really have a known problem
    with nVidia-based graphics cards?

    Brian Kendig, Jan 4, 2006

  2. Brian Kendig

    First of One Guest

    Interestingly, Googling for this particular mobo/vid card combination
    doesn't yield many results.

    You did disable the onboard video through BIOS, right? And turn on "assign
    IRQ to VGA" or something that effect.

    First of One, Jan 4, 2006

  3. Brian Kendig

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    I don't own such a board, but my instinctive reaction is: bullshit.

    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2617

    This is a review of the Asus A8R-MVP board. It's not identical to the MSI
    board by any means, but it uses the Xpress 200 Crossfire northbridge. One of
    the graphics cards in the test was a 7800GTX. That ought to have stressed
    things a bit.

    A little Googling found a test of a different make of nVidia 6600 card on
    your mainboard:

    http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/xfx_geforce_6600_ddr2/index.shtml

    I can't guess why the MSI tech would give you such a line. I suppose that it
    would get rid of you for a while, and maybe the problem would go away when
    you installed new graphics drivers.

    Bob Knowlden, Jan 4, 2006
  4. Brian Kendig

    Brian Kendig Guest

    Just a followup: turns out the tech was *right!* I've been searching
    for more info on this problem, and it appears that at least one of the
    ATI-based motherboards from MSI isn't compatible with nVidia graphics
    cards. I found many threads on their discussion board about it; one's
    at 'http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=88430.0'.

    Possible workarounds are to use an old rev of the nVidia drivers, or to
    RMA the board and get a later revision instead. I haven't heard yet
    whether either of these are solutions, but I'm continuing to research.

    Brian Kendig, Jan 4, 2006
  5. Brian Kendig

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    Those postings hardly look authoritative to me, but I'm mostly put off by
    the childish English. (If the writers aren't native English speakers, I
    apologize.)

    Maybe the tech was correct, but it'd be sad if such a mainstream graphics
    card had trouble with your mainboard.

    Good luck.

    Bob Knowlden, Jan 5, 2006